CHAPTER 21 - PHOENIX. KITE.

Luke's POV.

I found Mina sitting by the small kitchen table, sipping a glass of water when I walked in. She had taken her bath and freshened up while I was out. She wore a yellow short-sleeved t-shirt with a big sunshine smiley on it. Her face was now make-up free and she looked beautiful despite the frown on her face.

"I thought you left" she said softly.

I dropped the bag I was carrying on the table a little too loudly causing her to wince.

"Sorry" I said "Bad hangover?"

"Yeah. And now I have rashes too" she complained extending her arms towards me. 

"Rashes?" I queried peering closer at her outstretched arms. They weren't prominent but there were definitely rashes there.

"It's my body's way of reacting to excess alcohol. It will clear up within 24 hours" she explained rubbing her eyes.

"You know this. And yet here we are... hungover" I said as I sat across her at the table.

She attempting rolling her eyes at me but winced again and ended up closing them.

"Temporary discomfort for temporary pleasure. I think it's fair enough" she rested her head on the table.

I shook my head. "Take this" I slid the pain relievers I just bought across the table.

She cracked open an eye. "What's that?"

"Ibuprofen. It'll help with the headache".

"That's what you went out to get?" She asked as she drew the pills closer.

"Yes. I also got you a pack of cereal and milk. You need to eat too. Your shelves are empty. How do you survive?" I had been appalled to see she didn't have one single food item anywhere in this kitchen.

She stared at me for a while and it made me feel some kind of way. "What? I wasn't about to leave you hungover, hungry, and with a  headache. What if you pass out?" I joked and smirked at her trying to lighten the mood.

She didn't catch the joke. "I eat at the diner most times," she said a little defensively, and looked away.

I nodded "okay. Fair enough"

Silence...

"Thanks. I appreciate it" she said softly after a while, looking into my eyes. I nodded again.

She threw 2 tablets in her mouth and drank some water. Okay, I think my job is done here. I stood up to leave, and her eyes followed my movements.

"You're leaving to Merton today?"

"Yes, I have an early morning quiz tomorrow so, got to get going." I responded.

"Oh..."

Is it me, or did she sound kind of disappointed?

"Well, good luck at that. I know you'd ace it" She smiled

"Yep,thanks." I smiled back. We had a silent smiley moment, then it began to get awkward. I cleared my throat. " So I'd em...talk to you later..I guess." I turned and headed to the door

"Yeah... uhmm, Luke"

"I stopped and turned back. "Yeah"

"I was uhhm.... wondering, if I could get some...uhmm...some money from you. Like  a loan actually"

I furrowed my brows. "A loan?"

She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and pinched her nose. "Yeah, something came up and I  just need some money...I'd pay you back...in a month or two..."