CHAPTER 42 - A TIME TO SPEAK

Mina's POV

The bonfire was in full swing by the time we got there. There was music blasting from some speakers decked up by a corner beside a DJ doing his thing. I noticed a van where drinks seemed to be flowing from. Students were scattered around in little groups, chatting, dancing, drinking, and a few eating snacks they bought somewhere else. There was a makeshift dancefloor, but right now, no one was dancing there.

The populars were closer to the fire and every one else seemed to settle at different distances around them. It reminded me of our solar system. The bonfire was the sun and the populars were mercury. Then there were the other planets, whatever their names were a little farther from the sun. I noticed Olivia in the arms of a guy laughing at something he said. She glared at me when she saw me but I just turned away. Girl, I didn't come for you tonight.

Violet and I began looking out for Matt. We found him with Sam in the far end corner, right with the shadows. Looks like they decided to be pluto.

"Hey, where are your crop tops?" I asked them eliciting a laugh from every one as we observed our outfits. Violet had got us matching black crop tops which we wore on blue jeans. We noticed the boys wore black tshirts on jeans as well. What a coincidence, we were all matching.

We settled down on the grass and got talking.

"So do you ladies want anything?" Sam asked after a while.

"Aww, a perfect gentleman" Violet said with a hand on her chest. "A fruit punch will be fine. Thank you Sam"

He looked at me. Is it me or did his gaze linger?

"Same" I told him and he walked off with Matt to get the drinks.

"I think he likes you" Violet teased.

"oh Please" I rolled my eyes and we laughed. I sometimes forget that Sam was Matt and Violet's friend too. He rarely comes to the diner so I barely see him except occasionally during lunch at school. He wasn't bad looking at all. He was handsome, like most guys in Twinhills, but I wasn't feeling him like that.

They came back with the drinks and we talked about random things while we drank. Then the DJ put on a popular dance track and almost everyone got up to dance by the fire. They totally forgot someone had set up a makeshift dance floor. Violet stood up too and soon Sam followed, then Matt. I didn't really feel like dancing so I just watched them have fun. I don't know what they're doing though. It's more like jumping than dancing, but who cares right? And then there's Matt and Violet unconsciously gravitating towards each other. I see you besties but go on and keep pretending.

After some time, they all came back with two extra people, a boy and a girl, who introduced themselves as Chase and Amy. Everyone sat down and conversation resumed. Chase pulled out a blunt.

"What are you doing? The teachers can see you." violet whispered looking around.

He scoffed. "please, the last thing they want to do is watch a couple of silly teenagers. They're having a beer or two in a corner right now, who cares. Besides they said no drugs, not no weed"

"They said no weed too" Violet insisted. "And news flash, marijuana is a drug."

"I didn't hear" he shrugged. "Don't worry, I won't ruin your perfect reputation. He sneered and I didn't like him already. He lit it and dragged then pulled out two more and offered to us. Matt took one and Sam took the other. Violet gasped. I wouldn't say I wasn't surprised too.