Chapter Twenty Nine

The boys were gathered around the campfire later that day, Yoongi spinning the spit-roasted meat over the fire. "Are you sure we will be safer here?" Jimin asked, looking at Hoseok.

"We should be. We couldn't continue travelling anyway." He spoke softly. The fire crackled and the crickets around them chirruped. They liked the peaceful nights where they ate their meat with the accompaniment of the smokey fire and maybe if they were lucky some ale, even if it was stuff from a poor village which tasted more like piss than it did ale. 

There was soon a small chatter going about amongst them, they didn't have any ale so it was kept to small talk and not rowdy boys being boys. Taehyung's log moved slightly as he sipped from the canteen and a blanket encased Hye sat next to him, she looked more tired than she did when they had first met and Taehyung was more concerned this time around.

"Morning." She mumbled softly, stretching out. "Or rather, evening." The boys all looked at her in mild shock. After all, she had been asleep for a long time, and just joined them as if she hadn't been out cold. "Can someone pass me my canteen? It wasn't on me."

Jungkook nodded and threw it over the fire, but it fell short and landed on the embers around the edge of the fire. She stood up and walked forward to get it before Taehyung's hand shot out to stop her. "Don't be stupid and burn yourself." He scolded, Hye watched as the canteen sat on the embers, the leather around it peeling with the heat.

"I need to get it-"

"Have some of mine." Taehyung pushed his canteen into her hand, standing up himself and crouching by the embers, his fingers brushing them and he knew they'd blister quite quickly. But he retrieved her canteen which still held the water in it. But it was warm, meaning the water inside would also be warm. He turned and headed back to his seat, Hye sipping from his canteen before she put the lid back on and handed it to him.

"Thank you." She whispered. "This is a new camp?" 

"Yeah, you seemed to be in a trance and you told us that 'they are coming.' and when asked who, you said the demons. So we moved." Seokjin smiled kindly at her. Hye nodded, being in a trance and knowing what she now knew about her heritage, would explain the pounding headache. 

"As long as everyone is okay, that's all that matters." She smiled softly, gazing into the fire. 

The night went on, and they made sure Hye was caught up on everything. They formed a plan for the next few days, and once their bellies were full with boar meat and a potato broth they all soon began to fall asleep.

Hye sat on that same log, staring into the fire and had small talk with those who remained awake.

First it was Jimin who went to sleep after Yoongi had gave him treatment for the achey muscles he was bound to have tomorrow, then Yoongi, Namjoon, Jungkook, Seokjin, and Hoseok. 

That left Hye and Taehyung sat on their log by the dying campfire. The wind had died down from earlier and being by the campfire made Taehyung feel warm, or at least warmer than he did the night prior when they were travelling. 

"Thank you." Taehyung whispered quietly, trying not to wake the boys up. Hye looked over at him.

"What do you mean, 'thank you'?" Hye asked, tucking her hands around her body to keep herself warm.

"For saving my life."

"I-"

"If you're not going to accept my thanks, then just forget it-"

"I'm glad I saved your life." Hye admitted softly, cutting Taehyung off. "It might have taken a toll on my body, but you're not just my friend. You're their brother. I couldn't lose a friend and make them also lose a brother."

Silence fell upon them and they both sat there sipping from the one canteen between them for a short while before Hye spoke again. "I would have done anything to try and save you." She admitted quietly. "I didn't know I had powers, and I would have still gone to the ends of the earth to save you." 

Taehyung felt his heart flutter and a slight burning sensation along his markings. "I..."

"Anyway, I'm tired." She smiled softly, handing him back his canteen before she grabbed her blanket and went to the opening closest to the fire and laid down there. "Goodnight Taehyung." She whispered out. Taehyung smiled softly, unable to contain it.

"Goodnight Hye." He whispered back before grabbing his own blanket and laying down a small distance away from her as it was the only warm spot left. He laid down and moved about to get comfy. It took him a small while to get comfy, and he was that focused on making sure he was comfy he didn't realise Hye had rolled over and had fallen asleep facing him. He remained on his side, having found it the comfiest. His heart pounding more when he realised how close they infact were, and that she was facing him.

He fell asleep with a smile on his face that night, despite what was about to come.