Chapter Fifteen

Seokjin was there when Namjoon was born, not that he remembers it clearly, but he remembers it clear enough.

Since then, he was like an older brother to Namjoon, he took care of him when he began to get older, taught him how to wield a sword, how to ride a horse. He became the boys best friend in such a short amount of time. 

His most prominent memory to this very day was when Namjoon was sixteen and had attended a tavern alone after sneaking out the castle gates. Namjoon tells the story differently to what the lord tells it, but either way, Seokjin found it hilarious that underage Namjoon visited the tavern and got into a fight over a barmaid who the lord was harassing. He didn't find the lord harassing the poor barmaid funny, just the fact that the young Prince had gotten into a fight at a tavern he shouldn't have even been at.

Of course Seokjin was the one to break it up, and the one that had to drag the Prince back to the castle whilst he was tipsy. 

He had broken up the fight with ease of course, but having a slightly drunk Namjoon leaning against one shoulder made it better. It finally felt less like a knight protecting the Prince, and more like two best friends who had known each other since they were younger. 

"Seokjin..." Namjoon slurred. "You're my best friend, you know that right?" 

"You're my best friend too Prince." Seokjin replied. 

"I told you... Call me Namjoon." Seokjin nodded.

"Okay Namjoon. Let's get you back home. Yeah?" He asked, Namjoon nodded, losing his footing on the cobbled street causing Seokjin to catch him. "I can't believe you snuck out and went to the tavern." He mumbled softly. 

"I wanted to taste freedom. Even if it were only for a short amount of time." Namjoon sighed. "Being cooped up in the castle is boring" He dragged out boring and pouted at the male beside him. 

It came to no surprise when Seokjin came back from a battle that Namjoon had proposed his escape plan. But boy was the knight torn. He had sworn to protect Namjoon to his last dying breath to the King and Queen of the kingdom, so surely that meant that if Namjoon was going to run away he should go with?

But it also meant that he should make Namjoon stay inside the castle where he would be safe?

Once Seokjin left Namjoon's room he had sighed and went down to his room. He laid in bed contemplating his choices for what felt like forever before he had decided. He dived out of the bed, grabbing his pouch, and went to the armory and grabbed his bow and a quiver for arrows before he made his way to the kitchen. He breathed a silent sigh of relief when he saw Namjoon there.

"I figured you'd be here." Seokjin kept his voice to a whisper. "So are we going or not? They're about to make their rounds." 

Seokjin couldn't help the feeling of his heart swelling when he saw the look of joy on Namjoon's. He knew he had made the right choice, even if it meant breaking the family tradition. After all 'The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb'.