CHAPTER 4

Her stare zinged from one pair of brown eyes to other. The tingling refused to ease off and her heart felt as if it was about to jackhammer through her chest. Sophia had gushed for an hour about the burst of electric sparks she felt when Matt touched her for the first time. So this was it.

One of those desperate-panic laughs sputtered from her lips. To make matters worse, Sebastian and his loyal pet dogs chose to follow them out in the hall with her dad in tow. They stopped short distance from Caleb, prepared to pounce until they saw her held by one of the brothers. 

"Alpha Logan? Is she-" Sebastian was cut off by a growl that would send just about anyone on reeling back. 

The man - Logan - tightened his grip on her arms. "You're a rogue..." His voice held an edge of rasp. Unlike his brother, he didn't possess the playboy smoothness. He was rough around the edges and looked as if he learned how to glare as a babe.

"You don't miss much do you?" Mariana quipped. 

He looked slightly taken aback by her comment. Bingo! 

Logan's grip on her arms loosened and poof! The next second she was running across the backyard full speed. Pink dress flopped around her legs and muddy leather boots dug into grass too perfect to be real.

Mariana could hear distant yelling. Glancing back, both of her eyebrows shot up at the sight. Flock of men in size of a football team were chasing after her across the lawn. Suit jackets and ties were tossed onto the ground one by one. Some even abandoned shoes to run faster.

Logan and Caleb had joined the race along with her brother and his goons. She was sure she caught a glimpse of at least two confused humans as well. Poor boys props were thinking that this was some sort of game. Winner gets it all or whatever. 

I did not see that one coming! I will apologize to Sophie and all the single ladies later!

She forced her legs to go faster. In distance she saw the rusty pickup waiting for her. Thank the lucky stars she was smart enough to leave the keys in ignition for a quick escape. 

Mariana yanked open the drivers side door, nearly diving into the seat. She turned the key, ready to violate the gas pedal, when the truck gave a discouraging ra-ta-ta-ta noise. 

"Oh no, baby don't do this to me. Not now!" She tried again. 

Ra-ta-ta-ta! And nothing! The piece of wreck didn't fucking start! 

"I fucking swear, I will have Danny take you part by rotten part if you won't start. Now!" 

Ra-ta-ta-ta! And it worked!

Mariana fist-bumped the air. The old truck roared to life with a noise that screamed that she wouldn't make the trip without loosing a couple essential car parts. That did not matter. Victoriously, she kicked the car into gear and whipped it around police-style. (A move she was always proud of). 

Her smile fell when she glanced in the rear mirror though. Logan and Caleb were getting into the Lamborghini she had been ogling earlier. 

Fuck

As if to mock her, the stylish sports car performed the same cool turn and took off after her truck. 

What are the chances of old pickup beating a sports car in a speed race? Zero. Naught. None. Basically she was riding a horse and they were operating a jet plane on wheels. 

Mariana grit her teeth in frustration. Instead of helping, her own brain was laughing at her. You're so screwed. Too bad no one can take a picture of this. Oh wait, I will have this in a tape to play every evening before sleep. If you survive that is.