CHAPTER 6

2 years ago....

She knew better than anyone what disaster felt like. Nostrils flare, mouths upturn into disdainful scowls and fists pound the skin. One swing, one broken nose and - 

"Bend a knee and I will forget what you just did." Alpha Tylor snarled, blood trickling down his face in currents. His oddly twisted nose was turning purple. It would heal, her bruised knuckled would heal. But not his pride. She wounded the Alpha's ego, and was damn proud of it. 

"Fuck that." Mariana retorted, shifting her weight from one foot to the other, ready to pounce for the second attack. 

"Mari!" Her sister's terrified shriek sounded in the background. 

"Mariana Sanders!" Her father's voice boomed. 

Many horrified eyes pricked at her skin like knives. Let them. She was the only one with the balls to stand up to that dick Tylor. Screw his title, screw the man himself. 

Everyone turned a blind eye when he groped a poor girls ass. She wasn't his mate. In fact, the Luna was sitting right besides him, tinkering with her nails in desperate attempt to ignore what her mate was doing. The girl was defenseless, barely legal! It got her blood to simmer in seconds. A spank, then ordering her to sit on his lap - 

It was disgusting. How could they hang their heads and pretend this wasn't happening?!

Low growl slashed the air. "You fucking slut!" Alpha Tylor roared in rage. "You will fucking kneel or I will make sure you regret this." He wanted to rip her to shreds - the intent was written all over his ugly mug. The man had enough decency not to hit his Beta's daughter. For now. Another word and he would lunge. 

Mariana completely ignored his threat. "I am done with this. Can't you all see what that fucker is doing? Is no one on my side here?!" 

Silence. 

No one said a word. They just stared as if she had grown two heads. 

"Bunch of cowards." She was all alone against the entire pack. Her father looked furious. Sebastian sported a disapproving frown. Sophia and her mom looked like they were on brink of crocodile tears. Throughout all the mixed emotions there wasn't a single one that hinted support. 

"Fine." The decision was made right then and there. The last drop in the brimming glass. Mariana turned on her her heel. 

"If you walk through that door, don't bother coming back." Her father barked as her hand fell on the handle. 

She paused. "Don't worry. I don't intend to." 

~~.~~

Present...

"She's waking up. You two, get out!" 

"I'm not leaving my mate." 

"Our mate." 

"Cut it out. I don't blame the poor thing for running away with how two of you are acting. If you don't want her to run for the hills, leave." 

Pause. 

After a bit she heard shuffling and door clicking shut. Someone sighed right besides her, grumbling something about boys being boys. 

Odd scents filled her nose. Pine with tinge of lime? And expensive cologne. It tickled her senses. The vail of darkness broke. Her eyes peeled open, feeling heavy like bricks. She blinked away the blurry fog, her vision becoming more focused. 

Pale white ceiling, cream walls, carpet that had seen better days....It all summed up to a bedroom. Last she recalled, she was kissing asphalt at some god forsaken gas station, not laying  on a comfy mattress.