44. Clear Skies and Constellations

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

"Sirius Black, if you don't tell me where you're taking me this instant I'll...I'll...kick you!" 

Sirius chuckled, quiet enough not to attract any unwanted attention. "Must you always resort to threats of violence, my dear Evie?" 

"Well, when someone pulls you out of your warm and cozy bed at midnight and drags you through the castle without giving a single clue as to where you're going, then yes, one tends to become violent," Evelyn grumbled, though she was fairly certain Sirius didn't hear a word she said. He was far too busy peeking around corners and avoiding suspicion as he continued to guide her through the vacant corridors. Only the faint light emitting from his wand cut through the darkness of the halls (much to the dismay of the residents of the paintings that adorned the walls it seemed, for the pair had already been scolded several times throughout their short journey). 

"If you would just tell me where—"

"Shhhh," Sirius hushed her as they were met with a flight of stairs. Sirius moved backward stealthily until his back met the stone wall, directing Evelyn to do the same until both of their figures were shielded in the shadows. "Unless you want Filtch to come up here and throw us in detention for a week, then I suggest that you stay quiet."

Evelyn's face fell into a pout, though she didn't say a word. 

"Now let's see...it looks like everything is clear upstairs—"

"What is that?" inquired Evelyn, her gaze locked rather curiously on the large piece of parchment Sirius had just pulled out from his sweatshirt. 

"What's what?"

"That! Right there in your hand!"

"Oh," Sirius shrugged, moving his hand to give her a better view of the parchment. "It's a map."

"A ma—it's Hogwarts! And...it's moving!" she gasped, her eyes bulging in astonishment. "Where on Earth did you get that?"

"I made it. Well...okay James, Remus, and Peter may have helped a bit—but it was mainly me," he told her, a cocky grin playing on his lips. "We call it The Marauder's Map."

"You guys made this?!" Evelyn knew that the boys were intelligent, and even more than that, she knew that they loved to break rules; it made sense that they would use their smarts to create something that would make it easier to do so, however, this was...well this was genius. "I never knew..."

"There are lots of things you don't know about me yet, Evie," He winked, and naturally, Evelyn's cheeks grew pink, which never failed to make his heart want to burst. "You'll find out all my secrets eventually darling, don't worry."