53. Mirrors and Moments

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

As the horseless carriage picked up speed following the others toward Hogsmeade station, Evelyn watched Hogwarts grow smaller and smaller behind her. She wanted to remember this view forever, the misty sky just slightly fogging her view of the magnificent stone castle, the tall towers poking through the clouds. Months later she still found Hogwarts just as stunning as the first day she'd laid eyes on it. And now she was leaving behind the place that had become her home—a place full of some of the greatest memories she'd ever made. The thought that she may never see its beauty again was enough to bring a tear to her eye.

Sirius gave her hand a comforting squeeze before brushing the stray tear from her cheek. Evelyn had never seen her boyfriend so quiet in the entirety of her knowing him—quite honestly she hadn't even thought it possible for him to go so long without speaking a single word, but she understood. She herself hadn't spoken more than a few words all morning. Firstly, because she had only gotten around two hours of sleep last night and her brain was struggling to even form thoughts, let alone complete sentences. But secondly, she knew that if she did speak she'd soon be having to say the one word that she was dreading most. Goodbye.

Thankfully, James was in the carriage and had no issue filling the silence on his own.

"Merlin, I can't wait to sleep in my own bed! Not that I don't enjoy sharing a dorm with my three best friends, but between Peter's incessant snoring and Remus mumbling in his sleep, it's hard to get a good night's rest," James rambled on, clearly un-phased by the negative aura filling the carriage. "Pads snores occasionally too, but it's nothing compared to Wormtail. The lad sounds like one of those fancy muggle boats! And don't even get me started on—"

Lily groaned. "James, I love you but can you please read the room and shut up for a few seconds?"

The boy still had his mouth open, frozen mid-sentence, and for the first time that day, Evelyn felt herself struggling to hold back a grin. Sure, James was completely clueless most of the time and had a tendency to speak at the worst moments possible, but that's what made him James. Who would have guessed that James Potter would've become one of her best friends at Hogwarts? She certainly wouldn't have imagined it, but she was grateful for him nonetheless. He taught her to be carefree and silly and not care about what others think. And, boy was she going to miss him.

Evelyn was so stuck in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed they'd arrived at the station until the moment they slammed to a halt. She sluggishly stepped out of the vehicle, followed Holly and Remus through the crowd of buzzing students all ready to begin their summer holiday. 

"Wait, Ev."

She'd seen Sirius follow her out of the carriage, but as she turned at the sound of his voice, she noticed he was still hanging back by where they were dropped off. Her brow furrowed in confusion as she motioned for the others to go on without her. Sirius was fiddling with his fingers as she made her way back to him, and suddenly her heart started to quicken. Why did he look so nervous? And why did he want to talk to her away from the others? Surely he wasn't going to—no, that's silly, he wouldn't break up with her? Would he?