36. Kisses and Keeping Secrets

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

"We probably shouldn't mention the...erm well—the thing that just happened—"

"Berman, it's called a kiss."

"Yes, I know what it's called, Sirius," Evelyn groaned, "I just don't think we should mention it to the others, that's all."

After a few minutes of shock and trying to comprehend what on Earth had just happened, the pair had finally decided to resume their forgotten journey to the Great Hall. The corridors were now even barer than before—which Evelyn appreciated as it gave her more time to compose herself and rid her face of the blush that had been present since her lips touched Sirius's. 

Speaking of Sirius, the boy's lips were now forming a pitiful pout, his right hand clutching his chest as though he had been wounded. "My dear, sweet Evelyn, are too ashamed to tell our friends that you kissed me?! I'm hurt! My heart is aching! I don't know how I'll ever be able to recover from this—"

"Oh, shut up, drama queen," Evelyn giggled, nudging him playfully in the side, "I just don't want them making a big deal out of it, that's all. It was just a kiss."

"Just a kiss," Sirius repeated. 

Just a kiss. If only it were truly that simple. 

In actuality, it was so much more complicated than that. As per usual, Evelyn's mind was racing to dissect every piece of the moment they shared, trying to figure out what it meant. She knew what she wanted it to mean, but how often in life do things actually turn out how we want them to?

Was Sirius just as confused as she was? It was difficult to tell. It seemed that the more time she spent with him, the more impossible it became to decipher his feelings. He was always so unconcerned—so casual when it came to things like this. She tried to match his easy-going attitude, but it was hopeless. She was an analyzer—her brain never failed to sort through every moment, every last detail, desperate to find meaning. It was just in her nature. The two were so very different. 

"Ease up a bit, Ev," Sirius said, placing a soothing hand on the brunette's tense shoulder, "You walk in the Great Hall looking like that and the whole bloody school is gonna know something happened."

He was right. One step in there and Holly, Lily, and Marlene would be able to read her body language in a second. 

She gave him a nod, taking a deep breath and allowing her muscles to relax. 

Reaching the grand archway of the Great Hall, Evelyn paused, using her arm to hold Sirius back as well. 

"We are not mentioning anything about the kiss, got it," She clarified, more for Sirus's sake than her own. In all honesty, she was not incredibly confident in the boy's ability to keep a secret. After all, he had never been very private when it came to the romantic aspects of his life.