10. Hushed Taunts and Heisting Nifflers

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

"That was amazing!" Evelyn exclaimed, exiting the transfiguration classroom with Holly. "I've read about animagi, but I've never actually met one."

The adverse events of breakfast were no longer plaguing Evelyn's mind as she finished her first lesson of the year. The inquisitive girl was far too distracted by the awe-inspiring intelligence and skill of her new transfiguration professor.

"I'd love to be an animagus," Holly said longingly as the girls turned the corner and followed the other Hufflepuffs toward the castle grounds for their care of magical creatures lesson. "It's high-level magic though, the process can take years. It's difficult enough for an adult wizard to perfect, a student would have to be a genius to manage it."

"It would be cool though," Evelyn agreed. "Maybe we should become the first genius students to do it."

"Sure, and let's go befriend a few werewolves while we're at it." Holly teased, causing a giggle to rise from Evelyn.

"Sounds like a plan."

The pair was fast approaching the class's designated spot beside the Black Lake and being an animal lover, Evelyn's excitement was growing with each step.

"Someone's excited," Holly sing-songed, taking notice of her companion's peppy strides.

"That obvious?" Evelyn questioned with a chuckle. "Magical Zoology was my favorite subject at Ilvermory! Charms was always a close second, but I don't know, I've just always been fascinated by animals in general - even more so when it comes to magical creatures."

"Well, you're in luck then! Professor Kettleburn has always got some sort of wacky lesson planned for us. I got a flobberworm stuck in my ear my fourth year, and since then I've been a bit put off by the class," Holly shivered at the mere memory. "But, it sounds like you'll enjoy it!"

"After an experience like that, I'm surprised you took the class again! It's an elective subject, isn't it?" Evelyn could only imagine what an ear full of flobberworm had felt like, but she was quite sure it was not a pleasant encounter for the girl.

Holly sighed, "Well, it was either this or muggle studies, so I went for the lesser of two evils."

"Is there something wrong with muggle studies?" Evelyn questioned worriedly. "I signed up for it, hoping to have an easy period. I took a similar course at Ilvermory, and being no-maj⁠— er, um⁠— muggle-born-" she corrected swiftly, "-meant that I didn't have to do much studying, so it lightened my coursework up a bit."

"No, no! You'll be fine," Holly assured. "It's just that, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to muggles. My parents are both wizards, so the class would probably be a bit of a nightmare for me."

"Well, if you ever have any muggle-related questions, you can always come to me." Evelyn offered graciously.

Holly's eyes widened at the offer. "Now that you mention it, there's not enough time right now, but I do have a few inquiries about rubber ducks if we have time tonight," she spoke straightfaced.