1. Mean Mothers and Mysterious Bedrooms

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

*warning- there are small mentions of physical and emotional abuse in this chapter*

☆☆☆

Evelyn Berman opened her eyes to find herself no longer in the room she fell asleep in. No, this room was nothing like the one she called home. Instead of light purple adorning the walls, there was silver and emerald wallpaper surrounding her. The bed looked dingy and ancient compared to the beautiful canopy bed that the six year old ordinarily slept in, and the dark, wood floor creaked each time she took a step. A narrow beam of moonlight entered through the partially-closed curtain covering the window to her right. As the musty, unfamiliar smell of the room invaded her nose, panic flooded throughout her body.

Surely, this had to be a dream, but she had never experienced one quite like this before. The room was so detailed, from the smell to the feeling of the knit blanket that lay on the chair beside her.

Evelyn began to feel dizzy, the uncertainty of where she was causing her heart to race and the pace of her breathing to quicken. She chewed on the nail of her thumb, trying to ease her terrified mind.

Just calm down, Evelyn. Everything is going to be fine.

For such a young girl, she worried about quite a lot of things in life, although they usually consisted of less frightening concerns such as what color would look best for the butterfly she was coloring or who she was going to play with at recess. Never once had Evelyn needed to worry about what to do after waking up in a dark, mysterious bedroom.

It's just a dream.

It's just a dream.

She was shaken from her thoughts as a sound entered her ears. Small whimpers coming from the corner behind her.

Evelyn slowly turned her body toward the noise, her eyes squinted, fearing what she was about to be see. She could feel every inch of her body trembling, begging for her to wake up and escape this nightmare.

Finally, after fully convincing her body to make the turn, she was faced with a small boy who looked no older than herself. Dark hair was covering his face hiding most of his features, only exposing a bit of his pale, tear-streaked cheek. White and light-blue striped pajamas covered his body, but Evelyn swore she saw what looked like blood staining his back.

Her mind was telling her to keep a good distance away from the strange boy, but her heart wanted nothing more than to wrap him up in her arms until he stopped crying. This was unusual for Evelyn, who was kindhearted and gentle, yet ordinarily had an aversion to strangers. The shy girl had a difficult time even talking to people she did not know, the thought of hugging them most certainly never occurred to her. However, something about this boy felt different, almost as if she had known him all her life.