16. Warm Feelings and Werewolf Fur

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

"And after we finished our butterbeers, Remus took me to Zonko's and showed me a bunch of different products he and the boys have used for their pranks," Holly told Evelyn, who was perched atop her bed listening to every last detail of her friend's (not-so) spontaneous date, right down to the butterbeer mustache on Remus's upper lip which, in the words of Holly, was "ridiculously adorable".

"You know, they tried to sneak a nose-biting teacup to McGonagall third year— of course, she didn't fall for it, but still, it takes real guts to pull something on a lady like her," Holly beamed as she spoke, making it impossible for Evelyn to hold back a smile, "Ev, he's so sweet! He held open doors for me and offered me his jacket when I was cold. Oh, and he was telling me all these jokes which, in reality, were terrible, but when Remus told them it was so cute! I couldn't stop giggling, and— I'm rambling aren't I?" She cut herself off, glancing apologetically over at Evelyn.

"A little bit," Evelyn admitted with a chuckle, "But, I'll allow it, Mrs. Lupin." she teased, making kissy faces at Holly who was blushing madly as she quickly shot a pillow towards Evelyn's head, hitting her target spot on.

Evelyn blindly tossed the pillow to the side, fixing the mess of hair that was now in front of her face, "On a normal day, you would have just started a war, Holly Rabnott," She declared dramatically, raising a finger for added effect, "However, because I do not want to ruin my friend's wonderful day by beating her up with a pillow... I will contain my wrath."

"Thank you," Holly threw herself onto her bed, tucking her body into the warmth of the blanket. "I can't believe my luck today! First, a bunch of flobberworms invade Honeydukes, ultimately leading me to my first date, and then I get saved from the wrath of Evelyn Berman!"

"Yeah... you're one lucky girl, I guess," Evelyn chuckled, still amazed that Operation Snog had been pulled off without suspicion from Remus and Holly. In fact, no one had been able to pin the flobberworm incident on James and Peter, although, McGonagall was glaring at the Marauder's throughout dinner, leaving Evelyn to wonder if she had cracked the case.

"I am also one very—" Holly was cut-off prematurely by a large yawn escaping her mouth, emphasizing the next part of her sentence, "—sleepy girl. I think I'm just gonna rest my eyes for a few minutes, Ev."

"You do that, Holls," Evelyn nodded, watching the girl's eyes slowly shut, a small snore escaping her mouth within seconds.

She giggled at the sight, tucking her own body under her duvet, letting the moonlight fade as her consciousness drifted away.

***

Evelyn woke surrounded by tall, oak bookcases towering over her, empty desks on either side of the chair in which she was sitting. Candles were burning, lighting the room with only the help of the moonlight shining through the windows.