9. Protective Friends and Peeves the Poltergeist

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

Daylight brought some relief to Evelyn. She remained disappointed that she was not in Gryffindor with Lily and Marlene, but as she woke in her dormitory, walls yellow and luscious plants scattered around her, she knew Hufflepuff was where she was supposed to be.

Their common room was cozy, furniture and blankets adorned with yellow and black and greenery invading every corner of the room. Her housemates were kind and welcoming, taking lots of interest in the exchange student who, though not completely comfortable with all the attention, still made her best effort to answer all their questions.

Evelyn spent most of her night with Holly, the peppy girl she sat next to at the sorting, and her friend Zachary Shrew, a lanky blond with sky blue eyes not far from the color of her own. The pair spent the evening introducing her to gobblestones and, to her dismay, Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.

Evelyn's first jellybean delivered a refreshing strawberry flavor to her tastebuds, however her second tasted of rotting cheese and nearly made its way back up.

Despite her unpleasant first encounter with the deceptive jellybeans, Evelyn enjoyed her first evening in Hufflepuff. The house reminded her quite a lot of Pukwudgie, but there was one aspect missing.

Lexy.

As Evelyn dragged herself out of bed and began rummaging through her trunk, she could not help but think of her best friend.

The pair's morning routine typically consisted of Evelyn waking early, getting ready in five minutes, and then desperately attempting to push Lexy out the door to breakfast as the petite girl cemented her feet to the ground yelling, "JUST FIVE MORE MINUTES, I NEED TO FINISH MY HAIR!"

But, here she was dressed in her robes, which now included a yellow and black tie as well as the Hufflepuff crest, hair sectioned into two braids, teeth brushed, and ready to start her first day without her best friend.

She glanced over at Holly whose small body was spread out resembling that of a starfish, snoring quietly, showing no sign of waking anytime soon.

Evelyn escaped quietly out of her dorm, taking care not to wake her snoozing roommates. She was greeted by a handful of early-risers like herself scattered around the common room skimming through books and preparing for their first classes.

She carefully traveled through the passageway and headed upstairs to the Great Hall. She had been so anxious during dinner last night that she had hardly touched her food and was feeling the effects this morning as her stomach growled angrily.

Thankfully, the Great Hall was in the corridor just above her common room, meaning it would only take a minute or two before she could satisfy her empty stomach.

Skipping up the stairs and quickly turning the corner, Evelyn's body slammed to a halt as she was met with an odd-looking ghost dressed in the garments of an old medieval jester.