Chapter 11: A Restless Night

Red:

Dan and Luca were gone for so long that I could barely stop my wolf from barging in there and demanding to know what they were discussing. I'm sure Dan was telling him about my past, but I hope he didn't paint too glum of a picture about the poor girl with the lost memories.

What if he tells him about our...curse? I thought feeling panic.

His wolf is strong, he will accept us for our strength as well, my wolf spoke with confidence, reassuring me. I nodded, deciding not to push my thoughts in this further.

Jarrod and Mara were sitting opposite one another on the couch, signing away. Even Diego was smiling, watching them for a moment I realized Jarrod was telling them about the embarrassing pranks that he and Jac would pull on Orion and the other warriors. This one was something about putting itching powder in Orion's spare bag of clothes for after shifting back from his wolf form. I smiled, watching them. If I was right and Jarrod was Mara's mate, I was glad that Diego seemed to approve.

Suddenly, Jarrods eyes went blank, the smile falling from his face in an instant. He signed his apologies to Mara and Diego, rushing to the back of the house towards Dan's study. He emerged with Luca less than a moment later, both men looking on edge.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my voice laced with anxiety.

"Nothing to be concerned about." Luca spoke to me reassuringly. "We just need to return to our camp for pack business," he continued.

"Pack business?" I inquired, my tone now betraying my frustration.

"It's just a report from our wolves securing the perimeter of the camps" he relented, taking my hands in his own. "I'm sorry, we have to go but I will tell you more later." His eyes pleaded for understanding. I signed, nodding in acceptance.

Rose emerged from the kitchen with a plate of cookies in each hand. "Oh no, you can't leave before dessert!" She said with a frown, just as Cole and Chance skipped up completely claiming one plate of cookies for themselves.

Luca bowed in apology, "Thank you for the wonderful dinner and generous hospitality, but Jarrod and I must leave to handle some urgent matters." She nodded in understanding, Dan moving across the room to put his arm over her shoulders.

"Jac," Luca said with authority. Snapping out of his bad mood, he stood at attention. "I need you to stay here and ensure everyone gets safely back to their cabins."

"Yes, Alpha." He replied with a practiced submission. Nodding, Luca turned his eyes back to me.

"I will see you tomorrow," he promised, placing a kiss on the back of my hand. I smiled despite disliking this turn of events. "Until then" he whispered, moving towards the door.

They both left quickly, as that all too familiar tug started to pull deep in my chest. I sighed, suddenly losing my appetite for dessert. I tried to corner Dan to interrogate him on what he spent so long discussing with Luca, but he avoided my questions, only relaying that 'it's his role as my guardian to make sure my mate was worthy.' To which I rolled my eyes heavily. He chuckled, shrugging, but wouldn't say any more.

After the rest of the younger children decimated the cookies and settled in for the night. Jac offered to walk Mara, Diego and I back to our cabins. He promised to return and spend the night in the main house with Rose and Dan before we made our goodbyes.

Dropping Mara and Diego off first, we walked in silence before he took a deep breath. "Red, you know I love you like a sister."

I rolled my eyes, "Jac, you really don't have to do this." I said in frustration.