Chapter 21: The Crimson Wolf

Red:

I watched him race away as I fell to the ice, shifting back to my human form. Slumping to the cold ground, I cried in anguish as his voice resonated in my mind. Grey had gotten through to Lucian in mind link for only a moment, but in those seconds, I heard him shout four words that shattered my heart.

She is a Monster, he had said. And it was not Lucian's voice, it was Luca's. I saw it in his eyes before he turned from me. They were not the deep, wild blue of Lucian's eyes, but the light, gentle blue of Luca's. Although, no tender kindness or love shone in them at that moment. Clear as day I saw my reflection in his eyes that shown fear, and above all, loathing.

I laid there, naked and broken. Feeling the cold settle into my aching limbs, I heard Grey speak in my mind.

We need to get up, you cannot survive out here for much longer. She said gently.

I could feel her try to call upon our flame to warm my shivering form, but my sadness prevented her from accessing our power. My flame was fueled by passion, rage, and power. In this moment, I felt none of those things. I felt torn, and most of all, alone. More alone than I had ever felt in my life.

I closed my eyes as I summoned the strength to stand, pushing myself off the ice I could feel the sting where the contact had burned into my exposed skin. Grasping my discarded blanket, I made my way to the jeep. Tears streaming down my cheeks, I grasped the cell phone that Luca had left in his seat. Searching through the contact I dialed the only person I knew to trust at this point.

"Luca, you rarely call. What's the problem?" Christian said in a rather annoyed tone.

"Christian," I spoke in a rough and broken tone. "It's – it's Red."

His voice changed to a serious attitude immediately. "Red, what's happened. Are you hurt? Where is Luca?"

"We – we were on the plains, introducing our wolves to each other when he...ran away." I had to take a moment to breathe.

"I – I don't know where he is now, but I don't want to leave him out here alone." I stammered, my voice betraying my broken emotions.

"Red, just stay where you are, I can track his phone. I'll be there as soon as I can. Are you safe? Is there anyone around you?"

"No, I'm –" my voice broke as I realized what I had to say. "I'm alone."

Christian continued to speak but I could no longer hear his words. I could hear Grey softly whimpering in my head, she had felt a connection to Lucian, a strong connection that we both felt. It was not Lucian who had turned away from us, but Luca.

Dropping the phone, I began to get dressed. I did not want to be any more exposed than I already was when Christian arrived. Pulling on my clothes, I found myself staring out into the plains. In the few short days since Luca had come into my life, I had felt more intense love, lust, and longing than I had in the rest of my life. Now, I was feeling more intense pain and anguish than I thought possible.

I'm sorry Grey, I whispered to her, trying to ease her suffering.

I don't understand, she said, our flames did not hurt him, he is our mate, our love, our other half. Why would he run from us?

Feeling the strength leave my limbs, I slumped against the side of the jeep, still staring out into the emptiness of the icy tundra.

"I don't know," I cried aloud, I don't know.

I felt hands grasp my shoulders, lifting me off the cold ground. Blinking my unfocused eyes several times, I gazed up at Christian who took in my tear streaked face with worry. "Red, come with me, I'll drive you back."