Chapter 13: An Arrow for an Answer

Red:

To say I didn't sleep well felt like an understatement. I honestly wasn't sure if I had slept at all, every time I closed my eyes, I pictured Luca. While a small sensible part of me wanted to say that I should be cautious falling for my mate this quick, my wolf was the happiest I had felt her, in well ever. Still, I had hoped to have seen him again last night. Not that I wanted to play it easy, but the aching in my chest was almost unbearable.

I thought back to all of the conversations I had with Rose growing up. Ever since I was young, she would tell me fairytales of how perfect the love was between mates. She never described the pain of being apart from her mate because once her and Dan met, that was it. She was already impulsive, so she left her life the same day and went cross country sightseeing with him. I sometimes envied her carefree nature. I remember her saying that after she met Dan, she couldn't sleep another night without him. I thought it was romantic, much less so now that I knew she meant literally.

After finishing a few sketches, I hopped into the shower to get ready. Not many of the orphans had entered the games, and today was my first round. Dressing in black skinny jeans, brown short boots and a fitted crimson top that accentuated my flaming hair, I braided it up both sides before pulling it up in a ponytail. I knew Luca would be there and I wanted to look my best.

Grabbing my archery gear, I headed to the main family cabin to say goodbye before leaving for the fairgrounds.

Lining up to sign in at the two main registration tables, I adjusted my bow and quiver strap as I scanned the crowds. Closing my eyes briefly, I inhaled deeply trying to locate Luca's scent. Nothing. My wolf growled in annoyance; I understood her frustration.

Progressing through the line slowly, I was interrupted by a gruff tone and the smell of stale beer breath. "You lost little girl?" I heard a man's voice question behind me. Turning, I appraised the larger muscle-bound bald man that seemed to be sneering in my direction. Two other large men appeared at his sides. "You're supposed to be wearing your pack insignia," one of the smaller men commented, eyeing me up and down.

I rolled my eyes; I knew better than to feed into some sexist brute that I could beat with one hand tied behind my back. Stepping around them I resumed my place in line, stating my name for the registrar. Handing me my grey entry ribbon, indicating that I was not part of any pack, I could hear the men snicker behind me. My wolf jeered inside my head, ironic, she hissed.

Their chuckle grew louder. "Oh, so you don't have an allegiance."

"Are you a little orphan?" The smaller one on the left questioned.

"Maybe I can be your new daddy?" The center one snickered, taking a step towards me. I stood my ground, I was used to bullies like this whenever packs came through here, and this was not my first rude brute with low opinions of my heritage that I had to deal with.

"The lady is here to compete, just like the rest of us." I smooth voice spoke from behind the group. "I would suggest walking away."

The three men immediately stiffened when they turned to see the owner of the voice. Peering around them I saw a handsome man with tousled tan hair, slightly cleft chin, and deep hazel eyes. He had a broad nose and an innocent look about him. Something about the way he carried himself told me that his looks could be deceiving.

Stepping forward he stared at me intently before standing beside me to give the registrar his name. Taking his white entry ribbon my eyes widened in realization as this indicated he was part of the arctic pack.

"We didn't mean anything by it." One of the side guys stammered, taking a few steps back.

The larger middle one spat at the ground in front of the man. "An arctic wolf is just as good as a rogue, perfect for a worthless orphan." He scowled, turning to head to the archery line.