Chapter 8: Meeting the Family

Him:

Turning to follow Orion and Atlas back into the field, my mind was reeling with this information. Red was Jac's sister, of course she was, the pieces now coming together in my mind.

I recalled all the times he spoke of his family, and his younger sibling, not biological, but still he looked at her as an older brother would. He would tell us about the trouble they would get in, how her temper was nothing to be trifled with, and how protective she was of the other orphans. While he was older, she did much of the adult mentoring in their relationship.

Gods, I stopped in my tracks. I recall when two summers ago, his mother had sent him pictures of the family. All the warriors had teased Jac about his hot little sister, especially Ty and Christian.

Ughhh, this was going to be difficult, I groaned internally, resuming my steps. I had never seen the pictures because I honestly had no desire to ogle some random female on a 4x6 piece of paper. I was really regretting that decision right about now.

Orion, Atlas, and I went our separate ways as I excused myself. I told them I had important matters to attend to, I would tell Orion about the discovery of my mate once I knew her whereabouts myself.

Lifting my nose to the breeze, I inhaled deeply searching for her sugar and cinnamon scent. I quickly found her trail and followed it to a sizable wood frame tent that held a makeshift art gallery near the racing track.

Forgetting myself for a moment, I stared in awe at the paintings before me. Jac did mention that his sister was an artist. There were at least a dozen canvases of different sizes, all depicting beautiful nature scenes with the various wolves of the regional Alphas and their families.

One painting in particular caught my eye. Standing before it, it was a blue tone canvas showing a windswept, icy tundra. In the landscape stood a lone white wolf, with piercing blue eyes.

"I'm sorry sir, that one's not for sale." I heard her voice behind me. Leaning her upper body on the edge of the wooden frame of the makeshift structure, she eyed me with a smile.

"Are you sure? I can be very convincing." I smirked, something about her made it irresistible not to tease.

Turning back to the painting, I mused, "How did you get a picture of me?"

I could hear her sigh, "I didn't." She responded simply.

"I was given pictures of all the other regional leaders and their families, but not of you."

She chuckled, "I don't even know where you come from."

"Haven't you heard of 'the Great White Wolf' of the Arctic Circle?" I said sarcastically, my eyes lingering on the wolf in the painting.

She walked over to hug me from behind. "Ohhh that one," she joked "I have heard of him, but I was thinking of another larger, more intimidating wolf."

I held her arms, wrapped around my torso tightly. I pulled her to face me, her arms still wrapped around my waist.

"How is I possible to miss someone so much that I've just met?" I breathed.

She smiled up at me, "I must make really good first impressions."

I laughed deeply, "That you do, but really. But really, how did you know to paint me?"

Her smile faded as if she was apprehensive, biting her lip searching for the right words. "I dreamt of you," she whispered.

"What is this all about?" a booming irritated voice sounded behind us. Jac stood at the entrance of the gallery, his arms crossed over his chest, his face scrunched in frustration.