Chapter 14: Old Friends

Red:

The announcer ended the break and called for us at the waiting line. Flipping a coin, I won, deciding to let Christian go first. I was curious what kind of questions he wanted to ask me.

He took his first shot. "So you have no pack allegiance now, where are you from initially?"

I raised my eyebrows, that was an interesting start. "I don't actually know; I was found by my adoptive parents north of here when I was very young." I answered honestly. Releasing the arrow, I matched his shot.

He didn't pause, seeming unphased by my response. Maybe we could be friends in Luca's pack, I found conversation with him to be pleasant and easy. He didn't judge me for my circumstances, and I liked that.

"Did you always live in the arctic circle?" I asked.

"No, I met Luca in France actually. I was at a bit of a low point and he helped me out of it." He replied.

"France? I've always wanted to go there. I would love to visit Europe, I've spent my whole life right here in these woods."

He smiled sincerely. "You should always travel before you settle in a pack," he advised me.

I nodded, "I have a feeling I will be traveling a bit soon, which honestly scares me." I hadn't thought much about having to move to where my mate resides, as I honestly wasn't optimistic I would find my match. I guess that's another conversation I'll have to have with Luca.

He paused thoughtfully. "How long have you known Alpha Luca?"

I blushed from the memory, "We met after the races yesterday."

"That recent?" He commented. "Sorry meant that as more of a statement, not another question." He chuckled, nocking another arrow.

"Alright, how long have you known Luca?" I questioned, taking another shot.

"I'll give you a freebie, I've known him as my alpha for about ten years, but I knew him decades before as a friend."

I almost dropped my arrow. "Wait, decades? How old is he? Luca I mean?" I stammered.

"That's two questions. And besides, it's my turn." He said smugly.

"I – I'm sorry, that just caught me off guard."

"Who trained you in archery?" He questioned, loosing another arrow.

"I'm self-taught." I replied simply.

"Hmmm, so you've never been formally trained then?"

"Tsk, tsk. That's another question." I winked at him, waving a finger head in mock disapproval. "But, no I've never been formally trained."

"You're doing quite well then." He complimented.

"Knowing that you could easily wipe the floor with me after that display earlier, I'll take it." I replied with a smile.

"Soooo..." I let the word draw out. "Back to my question." I eyed the target as I readied my arrow.

He shrugged his shoulders, "I honestly don't know how old Alpha Luca is. I can say that I've known him for, well, more years than I care to think about. I met him in Paris at the turn of the century. But why don't you ask him yourself."

Turning, I was caught off guard by Luca's frame standing behind our positions, his eyes hungrily taking in my body, poised in my closed bow stance. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my features at seeing him finally here. I told you he would come! My wolf pranced around in my head.