Wolf Trainer- Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Childhood Scar 

******************

''Brother, how long do we have to go before we get home?'' I asked.

''You know the way, but from here it would be... I'd say about ten or fifteen minutes.'' Gary replied. I turned my attention back towards the open road ahead of us, extended for miles.

''Okay. Who are those people?'' I asked looking at two men in black coming towards us.

''Who? Oh my, get back!'' He said as he stood straight. I moved behind him as he said.

''Hey dude. Let us see the child.'' The shorter man said while grabbing at me.

''Hey dude, get off her!'' He said, slightly yelling.

''Oh so you want some trouble now?'' The taller one said looking at my brother. The shorter one stared at me.

''Gary, who are they?'' I asked while holding the back of my brothers shirt.

''Stay back!'' He said.

''No come to us.'' The shorter man said grabbing at me again. But my brother punched his arm away.

''No no, don't do that.'' The taller man said.

''Back off!'' My brother said. But the shorter man only swung at my brother. I watched as my brother bounced back and swung at the same guy who hit him. ''Run home Samantha!'' He called out to me.

''But..'' I said before he said even louder, ''RUN AWAY!'' The tall man walked up and punched my brother in the gut.

I ran off, without looking back. But the first tree I reached I climbed up as high as I could. I watched my brother as I screamed, ''SOMEBODY HELP, I NEED HELP! HELP, HELP!'' But nobody came to help. So I watched. I watched the horrible scene. My brother was being beat to death by the two men in black. After they were done they ran off leaving my brother behind. ''GARY... BROTHER!'' I called out as I ran towards him but his body was limp. He didn't move. I screamed. I didn't know what to do. Nobody was driving by that I could get help from. So I ran all the way home and told my parents. We reached him in the car. 

***************

''GARY, DON'T GO! BROTHER! WAKE UP!'' I yelled in my sleep. After I yelled I woke up. I heard the rushing thumps of my mom's feet come into my room.

''Are you Okay!?'' She asked loudly.

''Yes, just a... just the dream.'' I said.

''Come here.'' My mom said as she hugged me. Tears rolled down my eyes from the thought of my brother. It had been ten years and I still missed him. I hated the two men who killed him and I would never forget it. I am sixteen. But I was six when my brother was killed, beat to death, by two nasty men. I always thought it was my fault. I hadn't screamed loud enough for help. Or I would think it would be better if I was never born, then the men wouldn't have tried to get me. Gary wouldn't have even had to go out to get milk just because I wanted it. But I knew now that I had no choice in that, I was only six. It was the Devil in the two men that killed him. 

*************

I stayed up the rest of the night, most of the time crying my eyes into puffy, red bumps. When it was morning I ate my breakfast. It was Saturday now, in the month of Febuary. It was the 28th, year 2039. After I ate I changed into my clothes. Then I went out side and walked back into the woods and then to the creek. I called out, ''Anjoo.'' Then I heard rustling and Anjoo came scampering out from behind the tree he slept at. He had a Slink in his mouth.

A slink is a type of fish. It is the largest, and rarest, fish that inhabited any river or stream that was big enough. As he came out, he dropped the fish and with a wagging tail said, ''Hello, early bird.''

''I couldn't sleep last night. I had the dream of my brother. After I awoke screaming I couldn't get back to sleep, so I came out here.'' I said looking down at my feet.

''Oh, I am sorry.'' He said as he brushed his side up against my legs to comfort me.

''You didn't do a thing and thanks for trying to comfort me...'' My words were cut off from the rustling of leaves.

''What is that?'' Anjoo whispered.

''I don't know?'' I wispered back. Both of us stared ahead, our ears alert to the sounds of the crunching leaves. Someone was coming, and they knew we were here. They were heading towards us. But who would be out here in my woods?