7.3 || Over The Clouds

"I'm not going to survive," Josh declared as he dropped onto the first empty picnic table he could find. He splayed out on the top, doing his best not to knock over his tea or plate of food.

Mara placed her stuff down across from him. He could hear the eye roll in her voice when she spoke. "It has only been half a day."

He sat up and took an angry bite of carrot. "I don't see why I need these classes to be a Paladin. How are normal school subjects going to help me keep the world safe?"

After the tour and breakfast, he had been subjected to four plain school classes. Sure, Mara joined him—she claimed it was part of her tour guide duty—giving him a pleasant sight during lessons, but still, they were everyday stuff. The first person who figured out how to save the world with algebra would surely win a Nobel Prize.

"Being educated isn't a bad thing," Mara said. "You never know when you'll need to use basic knowledge. Your lessons tomorrow will be even more helpful."

Josh paused before his next bite. "Why?" he asked warily. "What are they?"

"Lessons on cultures and languages of the world."

She looked so genuine that Josh almost felt guilty as he groaned. "Those classes make more sense at least." But that would be so much mundane knowledge to pound into his head.

As if sensing his thoughts, Mara said, "If it makes you feel any better, the other two classes you have in the morning tomorrow are Paladin History and Dragon Handling, and I know you'll like your afternoon classes."

"Oh?" He perked up. "Does that include the afternoon classes today?" When she nodded, he asked, "What are they?"

The mischievous gleam returned to her eyes. "I like surprises, remember?"

Yes, she did, and at that moment, Josh was very aware of something he liked.

Are all human guys this weird?

Josh nearly choked on a bite of turkey sandwich. He coughed as he reached for his drink, hoping the incident excused his red face. Can you stop knowing my thoughts?

Bit hard when they're so loud. She can probably hear them. Kidding, I'm kidding! Boomer roared with laughter when Josh almost choked again. People can't hear others' thoughts, remember?

"Careful, Josh. Don't die on your first day."

His dad sat down beside him, an amused grin on his face. His mom wore a similar grin as she slid in beside Mara, Eli following behind her and slumping into his spot. His dad had been the one to speak.

"I think he's trying to get out of some classes," Mara said.

His dad chuckled. "Already trying to evade Ioana, huh? Can't say I blame you."

"Ioana? You mean Xander's wife?" Josh tilted his head questioningly at Mara. "She's one of my teachers?"

Instead of answering, she held a finger up to her lips. "He doesn't know anything about the afternoon classes."

"Who's teaching them?" his mom asked as she ran a hand through Eli's hair. "Ioana mentioned she taught one of them yesterday. I don't know the other two."

"Akachi and a guy who came after you two left named Hisato."

His mom mulled over the names for a moment. "Makes sense." She glanced down at Eli, then Josh. "Has she shown you the Sanctum yet?"

"Yeah." Josh beamed. "I got to meet my dragon."

"You should take Eli there when you're done with classes," his mom said, still playing with his brother's hair.