19.2 || Ghost Town

An hour of silent watch passed before anything happened, and it had nothing to do with the quiet brush of sand against sand. Instead, it came within as the bond stirred. Dazed confusion trickled through first, followed by worry.

Josh frowned. He tried to keep his mind on his surroundings at the same time as on the bond. Boomer, are you okay over there?

Josh, Boomer began after a few moments, then in a louder voice, Josh! I'm sorry. I fell asleep. How long has it been? Is everyone okay?

Relaxing, Josh grinned at his dragon's rambling. Yeah, everyone is okay. We found a kid and got attacked by some reaper thing, so stuff has gotten a bit more complicated.

Wait, you what? A kid? A reaper? Joshua, why didn't you— Boomer cut off.

Josh frowned and reached toward Boomer. His dragon focused on something on the outside of where he was, discontentment rolling through him.

I'm not done with you, he said, but someone else wants to talk to you first.

Josh tensed, and his stomach churned, threatening to purge him of the dates he ate earlier. Even before Boomer sent him the mental image, he knew who he would see.

His parents stood before Boomer in the Sanctuary's Sanctum. His dad's eyes were bloodshot, and he had never seen his mother so pale. Even an entire dimension away, he could feel the weight of despair hanging around them.

He clenched his jaw and drilled his sight into the water below, but he couldn't—shouldn't—ignore his parents.

"Can he hear us?" his mother whispered.

Yes, he can, Boomer replied.

"Josh." His dad walked up to Boomer and kneeled there. He stared through Boomer's eyes and straight at Josh. "They are doing everything they can to find a way to get you out. Please tell me you have found a safe place to hide."

Josh squeezed his eyes shut, then forced them open to continue to keep watch. His heart twisted. We can't really hide anywhere here, he said, with Boomer repeating the message to his parents, but we are doing everything we can to stay alive. Cale has suffered the most. He's done a lot to keep us safe.

His dad sighed, head dropping with the released breath. "That's good to hear." His voice didn't match his words. No relief, only tired pain.

Tears pricked Josh's eyes. He dragged an arm across his face. Focus. Watch. I'm sorry...

"I wish—" His mom paused. She took a deep breath. It shuddered through her body, and for a moment, it seemed the force would break her. "I wish you weren't there, Josh. I really do. But we're sorry too."

Josh turned his head as if it would let him stare at his mom, but all he saw instead was the opposite side of the windowsill. Why are you sorry?

She walked over and kneeled by his dad. After a pause, she placed a hand on Boomer's cheek. His dragon sent the warmth of her touch through the bond.

"You were hurting the most out of all of us. No matter how much I wish you hadn't rushed in, you must have felt such a horrible guilt this entire time," she said. "We thought you needed space, but you needed us."

He had expected pain, or at worst, anger. This hurt so much more. He opened and closed his mouth multiple times. No, it wasn't their fault, and he couldn't leave them thinking that.