1.1 || Invasive Dreams

First time reading (ftr)? Re-reading (rr)? Maybe you're a club reader (cr? XD)! Whatever you are, even if this is the only time I hear from you, I would love to hear it inline here! Or maybe tell me how you found this book? Whichever, I would love to hear from you and meet my readers ;)

***

THERE WAS FIRE EVERYWHERE.

"Josh?"

The dark flames burned an ominous violet. Fire writhed from tree to tree, devouring whatever it touched. Tendrils dripped down, grasping for him and scorching the grass when they missed. He sprinted through the carnage, and although thick clouds of smoke lay over the forest, it was not that which brought water to his eyes. Above the roar of fire, trees creaked and cracked. Crying. This forest, his home, was crying.

"Hey, you need to come on."

Something above groaned, followed by a spintering wail. He understood just in time, and he lurched out of the way, his injured ribs throbbing in protest. A burning branch smashed into the ground where he had been. Embers scattered, spreading the fire and smarting against his face. Adrenaline urged him onward. He stood there, though, transfixed by the fading branch, by the pain that stabbed his chest at the sight.

A high pitched noise squealed, distant yet nearby at the same time.

"Give me a second, I'll get him—"

A woman's anguished shriek rose higher than the rest of the cacophony, jerking him from his trance. He gritted his teeth and continued to run, forcing himself to ignore the destruction. He ran and ran, because he had to keep running. If he didn't, he may not find them before

"Dude!"

Something shoved Josh's shoulder, and he jerked to attention. The blazing trees vanished, and a forest of milling students took its place. Some stared at him with a mixture of concern and amusement while others walked into a large brick building with the words Wellington High School engraved into it.

A blaring drone blasted in his ears, and someone grabbed his arm. The sudden sensations restarted his brain. He jerked away from the touch and swiveled his head, trying to find the trees, the fire, them. Them who? Who was he searching for?

Finally, he focused on the dark-haired boy who was staring at him like he'd lost his mind. "Seriously, chill out. We need to move before Joe runs us over."

Tom. The boy's name was Tom. It shouldn't have been so hard for Josh to find the name of one of his best friend's, but the layer of fog—or smoke, considering what he'd just escaped—hadn't yet lifted completely. Something about the familiar face grounded him, and he realized what had happened.

He held back a groan.

Another honk sounded, and Josh lifted his eyes to see a bus. The driver glowered down at them, his mouth moving in what looked like words that could get him fired.

Josh raised a hand toward the man. "Sorry!" he called.

Joe's expression didn't change, but he at least stopped grumbling. Tom wasn't kidding, Joe really might have run them over if Josh had continued in his daze. He almost wanted to ask the bus driver to do it.

They moved off the road and onto the school's sidewalk. With a grumble and hiss, the bus traffic came back to life.

Instead of continuing on into the school, Tom pulled Josh to the side. "What in the world, Josh?"

Josh rubbed the heels of his palms against his eyes. They stung and his throat itched. "Sorry about that. I zoned out back there."

Tom snorted. "Zoning out isn't stopping in the middle of the road with Joe honking like crazy and not moving." He peered at Josh. "You on something?"