11.2 || Aftermath

The woman's name was Felisa Maria Cantor de Serrano. She was a recently married woman from the island. Her husband had been beating her for at least a couple of years. On the day she had been possessed, she had been searching for a way to end her life, going as far as leaving behind a note for her family explaining everything. It took almost the rest of the day working with the Sages for Akachi to figure that all out.

During the first hour after hearing the news, Josh had been torn between being grateful they could help her and furious at the piece of trash who would do such a thing. As time dragged on with Akachi and the Sage working with the authorities, his thoughts returned to what they had been when he first heard how someone became vulnerable to possession.

"He had bruises on his arms and around his collar bone."

Josh squeezed his eyes shut, but it did nothing against Hannah's past words. No, it was impossible. Darren was in football, a very physical sport that couldeasily result in injuries.

"You dumb brat, stop this!"

Such loving words from a father who looked seconds away from whacking his son. But Darren's dad had just been annoyed at him for attacking people. Saying angry words one didn't really mean was a naturalreaction.

Josh hadn't been tormenting a bully who actually needed his help. He would have somehow known.

Agonizing over it won't help, Boomer said, not for the first time. If you want to know, ask Mara or Cale. They would have had to handle things with him.

That somehow felt scarier than dealing with the bombardment of thoughts.

"You okay over there?"

Josh flinched and opened his eyes. He sat on the steps of the town hall, the light from the building providing his primary illumination. Still, because of the bond's benefits, he could easily see Cale standing in front of a colorful shrub. He'd been pacing in front of it the last time Josh glanced his way. Now Cale watched him, his head tilted to the side.

"I'm fine, just a bit tired." Josh managed a convincing yawn and stretched. It turned into a grimace when the movement sent a pang through his body.

"You need to be careful until we get to Hisato," Cale said.

Josh rolled his eyes as he massaged his right arm. The muscle still felt tense from all the blows he'd blocked. "Whatever you say, Mother."

Cale didn't seem amused, and an awkward silence settled between them. Josh squirmed, but he wasn't sure if it was from Cale's continued studying of him or his own indecision. Boomer was right. All Josh needed to do was ask Cale or Mara, and one of those two stood before him right then.

But what would he do if Cale told him exactly what he feared?

"Hey," Cale said before Josh could delve too deeply into the thought. He'd finally looked away, his arm-crossed posture stiff and uncomfortable. "So did you really—"

The door behind Josh swung open, cutting Cale off. Josh pushed himself up onto his feet. He didn't have to turn to know Akachi had been the one to leave. Even speaking Spanish, Akachi had a recognizable voice.

"Follow us," Akachi said as he descended the steps.

A man followed close behind him. He had to be nearing middle age, but the only sign was his salt-and-pepper hair. With his impeccable posture and strong build, he looked like he could give Cale a run for his money in any sort of physically demanding task.

When Josh heard about Sages, he expected them to beold, bearded men in robes and hats. Thisone, at least, looked more like a well-groomed businessman who coulddeath-glare someone into taking a deal.