17.2 || Pesty Problem

I didn't know Cale had crazy ideas in him, Josh said. He bobbed his sword at his side and inched his way across the desert. The louse had yet to emerge, but the land continued to tremble, so it couldn't be far.

I still don't like this, Boomer muttered. The far away sound hadn't left his voice. You make things go wrong, and if this goes wrong, you might die.

Josh rolled his eyes. Thanks for the confidence.

Am I wrong? When Josh didn't reply, Boomer snorted. Yeah. That's what I thought.

Has Ezraim told you anything yet?

Cale is still getting ready.

Josh sighed. It would be much better if Cale was ready before the bug came up. But, as Cale had said when Mara argued the plan, if he could do it that quickly, Josh wouldn't need to act asbait.

The ground heaved. This time, when the sand shifted, Josh turned to the point it was loudest. A patch of the desert caved in, and the sand rushed to fill the missing space.

Tell Ezraim that our little friend is saying hello.

Josh darted back as the tremors worsened. By the time the louse pierced the surface, he passed the edge of the sand rain that came with it.

"Hey, big and ugly!" Josh shouted, pounding the pummel of his sword against his shield. "Sure would suck if you attacked me."

It scuttled around to face him and charged. Josh channeled energy into his hand. He watched the louse's approach, forcing his body to wait despite the adrenaline urging him to escape danger. When only ten feet separated him from the monster, he skirted out of its path and blasted light into its side.

This thing was meant for underground movement, and it showed when it took multiple seconds turning to face Josh. By then, he had already put a hundred yards between them.

"That the best you got? Pathetic."

He doubted it could understand English, but either his tone or the energy blast kindled a new fury in its beady eyes.

An arrow flew through the air, shattering mere inches away from one of those eyes. Chittering and slamming its mandibles together, the insect turned so it could still see Josh while also finding Mara standing on a sand dune, her bow drawn.

Come on. Let Cale be right, Josh pleaded with it. Realize just how slow you are.

Instead, it considered them for a moment before clawing at the ground.

"Oh no you don't." Josh sent out multiple blasts of light, varying between aiming at its eyes and its mouth. While he did, more ice arrows rained down, pelting its face.

It reared back and wailed. It slashed at Mara's incoming arrow while staring down at Josh. The sandstorm in its back swirled with a new fierceness and emitted a light brown glow.

Josh smirked. Got it.

The monster louse spread its mouth wide and released a beam of concentrated sandstorm. Josh jumped to the side, but jerked as the attack caught the bottom half of his shin. He crashed into the ground, a stinging burn spreading across his leg. Bloody spots mixed with sand over a large patch of irritated skin.

"Move!" Mara called.

Josh skipped reorienting himself and rolled to the side. Wind brushed past him as the next attack narrowly missed.

He stopped rolling when the louse screeched. Fury mixed with deep pain. Josh hopped to his feet, ready to dart if needed, and examined the situation.

An ice arrow faded into snow-like particles, some tainted murky brown—blood from the louse's pierced eye.