11.3 || Aftermath

Xander approached the table, a kind smile on his face.  "Akachi, Josh. Good to see you back from your mission."  Spotting Hisato, he stopped short and massaged his temples. "What went wrong?"

By the time Akachi finished retelling the events, Xander had taken a seat beside Josh, leaning back against the table to watch the stars come to life.

"Living through an ogre encounter without losing a limb? I've gotta say, I'm impressed," Hisato said. He'd finished healing Josh halfway through the tale but stuck around. His eyes gleamed with excitement the entire time.

"Thanks, though can't say I want to try it again," Josh said. He flexed his muscles. Hisato had rid him of the pain, but it remained fresh enough in Josh's mind to make him shudder.

"Joshua." Xander's hard tone cut through Hisato's cheerful atmosphere.

Josh averted his eyes. Akachi had been understanding about the situation, but what about Xander? Unlike Cale, Xander could do more than just scold him. "Yeah?"

"Did it seem like the Phoenix Dragon already knew you'd be there?" Xander asked.

"Oh." Josh shifted through his memory. His present thoughts tried to tug him from the past. He didn't know why Xander would ask such a question, but it left a heavy ball in the pit of his stomach. "It seems like she had the ogre ready to attack us, but it surprised her that I knew she was possessing the woman."

Tension lifted from Xander's shoulders, even if only a little. "Good, good. She knew Paladins would be there, but not which ones then. There's that, at least..." He stared up at the sky for a moment before finally tearing his gaze away. "Akachi, could you please ask the cooks to set aside a plate for me? I need to do some research in my office." 

"Would you prefer I bring the food to you?" Akachi asked.

Xander hesitated, a hand drifting toward his stomach. "If that's what you want to do, but don't feel you must." With that said, Xander walked away, the weight of the new information hanging from him.

Josh stared down at his clenched hands. One of these days, he'd stop being part of reports that brought more bad than good. Perhaps that same day he would stop running into possessed people.

Possessed people like Darren. He swallowed back a sigh as that subject rushed to the surface of his mind again. More guilt, just what he wanted before dinner.

As if the thought summoned them, the kitchen staff began to trickle out from the kitchen, carrying plates, silverware, and food platters with them.

"I'm going to assist them," Akachi said. He squeezed Josh's shoulder. "Get some food and then go rest. You still have classes to get back to tomorrow."

"And I'm sure you're not going to cut me any slack," Josh guessed.

That got him a small smile. "Like I said, get your rest."

"I'll join you soon," Hisato called to Akachi's retreating form. "I want to ask Josh a question about our own lessons tomorrow."

Akachi gave a simple, small wave to show he heard.

Josh leaned against the table and turned a tilted head to Hisato. "What do you need to know?"

Hisato's tone had been light when speaking to Akachi, so when he turned to Josh with concern in his eyes, Josh was taken aback.

"I'm sorry, but when I take control of someone else energy, I can't help but get a feel of it. Our energy reflects a lot about us. When we're happy, it's alive and vibrant. However, when we're troubled..."