8.3 || Only the Beginning

Josh and Mara reached the field and walked to its center. Ioana's eyes swept over Josh as they approached, her gaze hard and calculating

Without taking her eyes off him, Ioana asked Mara," What did Akachi find out?"

Mara ticked off with her fingers as she spoke. "His specialties are in strength, stamina, and pain endurance."

A smirk played on Ioana's lips, breaking her analytical mask. "Good. That means I don't have to worry too much about breaking him."

Josh fought back the urge to roll his eyes. Sure, everyone acted like Ioana was someone to be feared, but her bite couldn't be that much worse than her bark.

"Well, as I've said before, my name is Ioana, and I—"

"Do I wanna what?" He'd thought her name sounded odd when he first heard it—like "ya wanna" or something—but it hadn't felt right to make the joke then. Based on her glare, maybe it never would be the right time, but he still smiled. She wasn't the only one with snark here.

"You're absolutely hilarious, brat," she said dryly. "Just for that, I think we will find out the fun way what you're made of."

Josh narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean?"

A sinister gleam sparked in her eyes as her smirk grew. Josh's smile fell as he glanced at Mara. How could a lady seem so... beast-like?

"I know the perfect way to measure your weapon capabilities."

He gulped. "And that would be?"

She shrugged in attempted nonchalance, but her eyes drilled into him. "Well, since you're so comfortable with Mara, why don't you spar with her?"

Spar with Mara? The warmth drained from Josh's face as his stomach heaved. He had never wielded a real sword, and it would show. He had accepted that after hearing the sounds from the hallway. But trying to focus with Mara's gaze so focused on him? Trying to strike out against her?

If it was possible to puke out butterflies, he would have.

"But... But..." He scoured his mind, searching for something—anything—that could get him out of this. All the responses he came up with sucked, but the worst one possible tumbled out when he opened his mouth. "But she's a girl."

His face ignited as his words caught up to him. He had just said that. Out loud. Where Mara and Ioana could hear him. If they didn't kill him, his own embarrassment would. He opened his mouth, but no words came out. He couldn't think, not with the loud roaring in his ears.

It took him a moment to realize that was Boomer laughing.

Ioana finally recollected herself, her shocked expression morphing to one of consideration. "You know what? You may be on to something there," she said, slowly nodding. "Not about Mara. She's a very skilled young lady, and she would be an absurdly difficult opponent for a brat like you. So, instead"—she grinned, and Josh was certain that she was part demon— "you'll have to spar with Zaina, because you should be fighting a girl."

She placed a hand on the young brown girl's shoulders. Josh gaped. Zaina was tiny, probably not even a hundred pounds. And he was supposed to fight her.

"What?" he said. Sparring with Mara no longer seemed as bad. At least then he wouldn't be beating up on a kid.

"You'll do fine, I'm sure. Cale, mind lending him one of your swords?" Ioana asked.

Josh dragged his eyes toward Cale, the guy whose sisterly figure he had just insulted. A smirk took the place of the scowl Josh expected. Cale tossed one of his swords toward Josh. It followed an exact arc, making it an easy catch for Josh.