008.

008. la vie en rose

BARBIE DIDN'T know exactly how piper knew the evil spirits were still here- but she wasn't going to argue with it. she always enjoyed a good bit of interrogation. that- and perhaps if the thing stopped possessing percy he might... might remember her. it was a stretch- and she didn't really think it would. but she did hope if the spirits left then maybe percy would stop being such a dick all the time. finally, hazel exhaled, "piper's right."

"how can you be so sure?" annabeth asked, "i mean-"

"i've met eidolons," hazel said, "in the underworld... when i was, you know, dead-"

"wait hold up you both-?"

"no barbie," hazel spoke blandly, "i had no idea i died." she turned to cherry comically and said with a gasp, "so we both died?"

there were a few giggles and short spouts of laughter.

"but as i was saying," hazel spoke, "i don't know if cherry has-"

"i was stuck in the begin again queue," cherry pouted, "i was stuck there for so long. so... no- probably not. although the staff workers in the queue- no. they didn't look evil."

"so," frank spoke, "you think these things are lurking on the ship, or-"

"possibly in us," piper said, "we don't know."

jason clenched his fist. "if that's true—"

"we have to take steps," piper said. "i think i can do this. but... barbie, can you help?"

"of course i can," barbie smiled.

"do what?" percy asked.

"just listen, okay?" piper took a deep breath. "everybody listen." piper met their eyes, one person at a time.

"eidolons," barbie spoke in the same tone, using her charmspeak, "raise your hands."

there was a tense silence. leo laughed nervously. "did you really think that was going to—?" his voice died. his face went slack. he raised his hand.

jason and percy did the same. their eyes had turned glassy and gold. hazel caught her breath. next to leo, frank scrambled out of his chair and put his back against the wall.

"oh, gods." annabeth looked at piper and barbie imploringly. "can you cure them?"

"i... we'll try," nodded barbie.

"are there any more of you on this ship?" piper asked, looking to leo.

"no," leo said in a hollow voice. "the earth mother sent three. the strongest, the best. we will live again."

"not here, you won't," barbie growled. "all three of you, listen carefully."

jason and percy turned toward her and piper. those gold eyes were unnerving, but seeing all three boys like that fueled her anger. "you will leave those bodies," she commanded.

"no," percy said. leo let out a soft hiss. "we must live."

frank fumbled for his bow. "mars almighty, that's creepy! get out of here, spirits! leave our friends alone!"

leo turned toward him. "you cannot command us, child of war. your own life is fragile. your soul could burn at any moment."

barbie wasn't exactly sure what it meant- but frank looked like someone had just played his worst fear on repeat in his mind. he drew an arrow, his hands shaking,"i—i've faced down worse things than you. if you want a fight—"