Chapter 2 - The Newsies

Third Person POV

One of the Newsies helped Eliza stand up.

Eliza thanks the boy, who tips his hat, before she dusts off the skirt of her dress.

Eliza looks around the boys.

The one in the blue shirt steps forward, looking to be the oldest. "Um," He didn't know what to say.

Another stepped forward, this one looking more proper and put together. "Miss, my name is Davey, or David, Jacobs. It's not very logical for someone to fall out of the sky, so don't mind my friends' shocked faces, and please don't take it personally."

Eliza chuckles. "It's very much okay, Davey. I hope I don't make falling out of the sky a habit."

Davey smiles a bit, holding his hand out for her to shake.

Eliza smiles, shaking his hand. "Eliza, or Elizabeth, Hamilton." She introduces herself.

Davey's eyes widen. "As in- Alexander Hamilton's wife? The second oldest Schuyler sister? War hero Phillip Schuyler's daughter?" He asks.

Eliza smiles. "That's me, but uh-" She stops, confusion showing in her brown eyes. "How do you know that stuff?"

Davey blushes a bit. "I learned about you in school. You're in my history books." He explains, watching what he said.

Eliza nods, taking in this information.

"Um," Davey starts, clapping his hands together slightly. "I guess we should introduce ourselves."

A little boy runs up to Eliza, shaking her hand. "Hi! My name's Les! You're very pretty! Romeo said to compliment pretty women!" He exclaims excitedly.

Eliza chuckles.

Davey pushes Les away a bit. "Yeah, please never listen to anything Romeo says." A boy shouts in protest, but Davey ignores him. "We don't flirt with married people." Davey turns to face Eliza. "Les is my little brother."

Eliza nods, chuckling a bit.

The boy in the blue shirt steps forward again, his hand out. "I'm Jack Kelly. The leader of the Manhattan Newsies."

Eliza shakes his hand.

Her head was tilted to the side a bit. "If I may ask," Davey nods. "What are 'Newsies'?" She inquires.

Jack smiles. "We sell newspapers. We just gave ourselves a cool name, partially because we didn't want to make it for only boys and call ourselves 'Newsboys'." He explains.

Eliza smiles, seemingly happy with this.

"Though," Davey sighs, frowning a bit. "There aren't many girls here. Smalls and Sniper live in the Bronx and there are a few Brooklyn girls." He smiles at Eliza. "After this, we'll take you to meet Miss Medda, Katherine, and Sarah. I'm sure Miss Medda can help you."

Eliza smiles, hands folded. "That would be very nice. I'm sure this 'Miss Medda' lady is very kind."

Jack puts his arm on Davey's shoulder. "My pal, Davey, here is the only one who calls her 'Miss'. We all just call her 'Medda'."

Eliza smiles. "Well, it's always good to be polite." She nods towards Davey.

Davey smiles a bit.

Jack pats Davey's back, causing Davey to flinch slightly.

Another boys steps forward, a cigar hanging from his lips. "My name is Racetrack Higgins. Most people just call me Race or Racer."

Eliza shakes his hand. "It's very nice to meet you, Race."