Chapter 18 - Children Mindsets and Adult Mindsets

Warnings: Stress, minor injuries
Third Person POV

"Ike! Smalls!" Eliza shouts from downstairs.

The running feet stopped.

"Yes, mom?!" They shout back in unison.

Eliza chuckles. "Stop trying to murder each other! There are other ways to take your anger out on the other!" She tells them.

In a matter of twenty three seconds, two said Newsies appeared in front of her.

"How?" They ask, eyes wide in confusion and admiration.

Eliza chuckles again. "Pillow fights, one of you holds the pillow while the other punches it, writing songs about the other and then singing them angrily at each other, we just don't want to get hurt." She tells them.

The two of them nod.

"If you're fighting with pillows, be careful who else gets hit." She reminds them. "Mush has gotten knocked out by that and we can't break Specs' glasses." She chuckles a bit.

The two of them nod again.

Smalls turns to face Ike. "I bet I could write a better song than you." She declares, arms crossed.

"No way!" Ike responds. "I bet I can write a better one than you!" He challenges.

The two of them glare at each other again, before both running off in opposite directions.

Eliza turns to Specs.

Specs holds up his hand. "Give them three, two, one." He counts down.

They both walk back into the room at the same time, cheeky smiles on their face.

"I can't write..." Smalls mutters, a bit defeated.

"Neither can I..." Ike mumbles, scratching the top of his head.

They stay silent for a minute.

Eliza and Specs try to muffle their laughs.

"I bet I can punch a pillow harder than you." Ike declares.

Back at it again, Eliza chuckles a bit.

Smalls scoffs, glaring at him. "You're so on." She responds.

They run up the stairs together, to grab a pillow.

Eliza turns to Specs, opening her mouth to speak again.

"No." Specs cuts her off. "I don't understand how they're fifteen years old. I think their mental age is five." He tells her.

Eliza chuckles again.

"We talking about Ike and Smalls?" Davey asks as he walks into the room.

Davey definitely had an adult mindset.

Some of the other Newsies, not so much...

Jack follows behind him.

Race was asleep on his back, Les in his arms, asleep, squished in between Race's chest and Jack's back.

Specs nods.

Eliza looks at Race in concern. "What happened to him?" She asks carefully.

She gets up, standing next to Jack, and running her hand through Race's hair.

She saw Race relax the slightest bit at the touch, so she just played with his hair softly.

"Being a Second in command is hard in general." Jack tells Eliza, who nods.