Chapter 12 - A Refuge Talk with Jack and Eliza

Warnings: The Refuge, abuse
Third Person POV

"Jack," Eliza starts. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

Jack nods, getting up and walking into another room with Eliza.

"Yes?" Jack asks, a bit confused.

"I am going to need you to be completely honest with me, okay?" Eliza asks him.

Jack looks around the room, nervously. "Okay."

"What is wrong with the Refuge?" Eliza questions. "What did they do there? Did they take care of you?"

Jack's eyes widen a bit. "Oh- uh-"

Jack stops, breathing deeply. "Could you sit down?" He asks her.

Eliza nods.

They both sit down on the couch.

"Who did you hear this from?" Jack asks cautiously.

"You've mentioned it a few times. Crutchie was mumbling about it when he was having a nightmare. I've heard multiple boys remind each other to steer clear of the Refuge, even if it's closed now, and I've heard Race and Albert talking quietly about it." She answers.

Jack frowns a bit. "Okay, so the Refuge is a jail for kids, except the Warden, Snyder the spider, as we call him, takes kids in so he can get money, even if they've done nothing." Jack explains.

Eliza frowns. This doesn't sound good.

"Race, Albert, Crutchie, Tommy boy, Blink, Finch, and I have gone to the Refuge, some more times and longer than others." Jack whispers. "It affects everyone differently. Race has a rough time dealing with it, and has a hard time breathing even when it's mentioned or he sees it. It bothers Tommy boy, Finch, and Albert less, but it definitely still does. Blink and Crutchie don't talk about it much, but I know it bothers them a good bit." Jack explains.

Eliza nods. "I'm sorry for asking."

Jack shakes his head. "Don't be. You need to know this." He states. "They abuse you, which is partially why Race has such a rough time coming from an abusive home and there." He explains. "They give you moldy bread, dirty water, and make you do chores."

"Long story short," Jack starts. "The Refuge is a horrible place." He states.

Eliza nods.

They stay silent for a few minutes.

"Thank you for telling me, Jack." Eliza speaks up.

Jack nods. "You should know." He states.

Jack turns to leave, but Eliza stops him.

"Jack," She starts. "If you ever need to talk about something, you can always come to me." She reminds him. "I know that you're the oldest and the leader, and you feel the need to be strong all the time, but you don't always need to be strong. No one, and I mean no one, can be strong all the time."

Jack smiles. "Thanks, Mrs. Ham."

Eliza laughs a bit.

"Jack!" Race's voice sounds from upstairs, along with some bangs and running around. "Albert stole my cigar again!" He whines.

Jack chuckles. "I better go sort that out." Jack tells Eliza.

Eliza chuckles, nodding.

Jack walks upstairs.

Eliza hears a shout of pain from Albert, along with a groan. "Race!"

Eliza chuckles, going to make dinner.

Did she mention that Race and Albert were home from their trip to Brooklyn?

They are, and while the house was calmer without them, everyone missed them while they were in Brooklyn.

546 Words
Sorry it's so short.