~ II ~

The entrance to the famed Umbrella Academy was just as ornate as she had expected - miles away from her tiny childhood home. Following Diego, she entered to a large hall, lined with marble pillars. She paused to take it in, shaking her head at the gilded balconies. It would have been nice to have this luxury, she thought.

Tailing behind her friend, they moved into the main room. She raised her eyebrows at the decor, and the minibar. Who needed this in a family house?

"Stay here - I'm going to look for Mom."

Diego's voice echoed off the high ceiling. She nodded vaguely, staring at the portrait of a young boy that hung above the mantelpiece, until voices from the hall caught her attention. She moved quietly over, and stood in the doorway, watching.

She saw two women - one, tall, long hair. Allison - the actress - probably. The other, shorter, awkward. Vanya - the violin player. She seemed sweet.

"You're actually here," said Allison, laughing softly.

"Hey."

Vanya shuffled her feet, a small smile tracing her features.

"Ah. What is she doing here?" came Diego's voice from the stairs. "You don't belong here. Not after what you did."

"You're seriously gonna do this today?" sighed Allison. "Way to dress for the occasion, by the way."

"At least I'm wearing black."

Vanya stepped back.

"You know what? I... maybe he's right. I shouldn't..."

"Forget about him," said Allison. I'm glad you're here, Vanya."

The women embraced as Diego came to meet Alexis.

"I thought I told you not to move," he commented, striding past her.

For the first time, the two other women noticed Alexis in the doorway. Vanya looked a little bewildered, and Allison stepped forward questioningly, eyebrows raised. Alexis did a double-take, then remembered they didn't know who she was.

"I'm so sorry," she said hurriedly. "I'm Alexis. I'm with Diego."

She extended her arm, and shook hands with the others, a little reluctantly.

"Care to explain why you're here today?" said Allison. "Diego doesn't usually bring people anywhere, as far as I'm aware."

"Quite a lone wolf type, really," added Vanya.

Alexis smirked, then sighed.

"I'm here because he needed me. He wasn't going to come."

"And what do you offer? Moral support?" said Allison, a little scathingly.

Alexis was slightly taken aback at this comment, stumbling over her words slightly.

"I.. I'm not sure, really. I just didn't want him to forgo this."

She looked down, and Allison stepped towards her.

"I'm sorry," she said quickly. "I didn't mean to come on so strong."

Alexis shook her head, and looked over at Vanya, whose eyes were understanding.

"I'm going to look for the others," said Allison, and she walked off up the stairs.

Alexis watched her go as Vanya moved forward, and the two walked together back into the main room, to be greeted by a monkey. Alexis blinked.

"Welcome home, Miss Vanya. And, it seems, another."

A talking monkey, apparently. Diego hadn't mentioned this. 

"Pogo."

"I'm Alexis," she said awkwardly. "Mitchell."

"Welcome, Miss Alexis."

"It's good to see you," said Pogo, to Vanya.

Vanya sidled over to the bookshelf, and pulled out a novel. Alexis snatched a look at the cover, dark and sombre, a young girl on the front.

"Ah, yes, your autobiography," mused Pogo.

"Do you know, um...did he ever read it?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

Vanya flicked through the book half-heartedly, and placed it back on the shelf.

"How long has it been since Five disappeared?"

Alexis moved away from them as they continued their conversation. She admired the contents of the cabinets, as their voices echoed around the room.

"...still out there somewhere..."

It was crazy that they had all this as children, she thought. This luxury had to affect a person. She imagined what her life would have been like if she had been here, like the others.

The day was cold, wet, grey. The rain danced on the pavements, puddles quickly forming. Alexis ran through the streets, feet resounding off the concrete, breathing heavily. She reached the front door, but it was already open. Her mother stood there, stone-faced.

"What time did I say?"

"Six."

The young girl looked down.

"What time is it now?"

"Six fifteen."

"Get inside," the woman spat, pulling her roughly by the shoulder.

"Sit."

"I'm sorry... I lost track of time," Alexis pleaded desperately.

"For years, I have been giving you everything you need - food, clothes," said her mother. "And all you give us is seven, tiny pieces of metal. Iron isn't worth shit. We need more. You're going to give us more."

Alexis bowed her head, eyes shining.

"You know I can't - it isn't unlimited," she started, stumbling over her words.

Her mother scoffed, and turned. She placed a large ceramic bowl in front of her.

"Do it."

Alexis opened her mouth and closed it again.

Her mother raised her hand and the girl flinched. She placed her hands on the bowl as energy hummed through her body, her breathing quick. Her eyes flicked to her mother and back to the bowl, which was slowly turning into a silver metal.

The girl slumped back into her chair, the bowl now solid iron. Her breathing was shallow, fast.

"Again. You can do it faster than that," said her mother, placing a jug in front of her.

Tears fell from the girl's eyes.

"I can't," she begged.

Her mother stepped forward.

"Again. You owe us this much."

She placed shaking hands on the jug, and the energy flowed once more. She gasped as her vision dimmed, blurry. The jug now silver, she removed her hands, and her eyes rolled back as she blacked out.

"Hey."

Alexis jumped at the touch of Vanya's hand on her shoulder. Vanya dropped her hand quickly.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "You were staring into space."

"Yeah - I was just thinking about something," replied Alexis quietly.

"I know how you feel." said Vanya, laughing slightly.

Alexis looked down at her hands, holding sightly onto the cabinet handle.

"I've got nothing to do until the others turn up," said Vanya, "If, um, you wanted to... talk about it."

Alexis gave Vanya a small smile, and nodded in thanks.