~ V ~

The family stood in the courtyard, huddled under umbrellas. Alexis held Diego's arm, surveying the proceedings. Thunder rumbled overhead as Pogo spoke.

"Whenever you're ready, dear boy."

Luther emptied the urn onto the ground, which lay there anticlimactically in a small pile.

"Probably would have been better with some wind," he said.

"Does anyone wish to speak?" asked Pogo.

No one answered.

"Very well," he said. "In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreeves made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master... and my friend, and I shall miss him very much. He leaves behind a complicated legacy-"

"He was a monster," said Diego.

Alexis squeezed his arm, urging him to be silent. He met her eyes, but carried on.

"He was a bad person and a worse father. The world's better off without him."

"Diego, not now."

"My name is Number Two," he spat. "You know why? Because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names. He had Mom do it."

"Would anyone like something to eat?" said Grace, oblivious.

"No, it's okay, Mom," said Vanya quietly.

"Oh, okay."

"Look, you wanna pay your respects?" continued Diego, his voice getting louder. "Go ahead. But at least be honest about the kind of man he was."

Alexis looked into his eyes, pleading with him to stop. He shook free of her arm, moving towards Luther.

"You should stop talking now," Luther said.

For once, Alexis agreed with him. 

"You know, you of all people should be on my side here, Number One," Diego taunted.

"I'm warning you."

"After everything he did to you? He had to ship you a million miles away."

"Diego, stop it," said Alexis quietly. 

"That's how much he couldn't stand the sight of you!"

The men launched themselves at each other, scuffling on the ground. The others watched in horror. Alexis was reminded all at once of her parents, of her mother.

Her parent's yells filled the house as a young Alexis watched from the doorway.

"Please, stop," she begged.

Tears rolled down her face as they fought, and her mother picked up the frying pan. Her wild eyes caught the girl in the door.

"GET OUT!"

Alexis ran to her room, covering her ears. She couldn't block out the screams.

"Boys, stop this at once!"

Alexis' hands shook as she watched, flinching every time a punch landed. Teardrops fell from her eyes as her breathing became slowly more ragged.

"Diego, stop," she whispered. "Please."

She jumped as she felt a gentle arm around her, and looked up into Allison's concerned face.

"Alexis, are you okay?"

She couldn't reply.

"Come on," Allison said, leading her away, past the others.

Allison opened the door to her room, and guided her to the bed.

"What is it, Alexis?"

She still said nothing, her sobs becoming more audible. Allison took her shaking hands, and pulled her into a tight embrace.

"YOU DO NOTHING FOR US."

"WHAT'S THE POINT OF A POWER IF IT GIVES US NOTHING?"

"USELESS. THERE'S NO POINT YOU BEING HERE!"

"YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE DEAD."

Alexis relaxed into her, chest heaving as she the screams ricocheted in the back of her mind. She leant against Allison's shoulder, tears streaming. 

"I'm sorry," said Allison. "I didn't ask whether you were alright with hugs. I hope it's okay."

Alexis nodded silently.

"It's okay, I promise. No one here can hurt you, Alexis. I don't know what happened, but I'm so sorry. You're safe with us."

Over time, she relaxed, and she pulled away, tear tracks staining her face. Allison looked worried.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?"

Alexis looked to the floor and shook her head.

"Okay. Why don't we go and get something to eat?"

"If you want."

Taking her hand, they went slowly to the kitchen. Allison put the kettle on as Alexis sat at the table, drained. Klaus and Five were already there.

"Where's Vanya?" asked Allison.

"Oh, she's gone," said Klaus.

"That's unfortunate," said Five. "An entire square block. Forty-two bedrooms, 19 bathrooms, but no, not a single drop of coffee."

"Dad hated it - there's tea, though," said Allison, placing a full mug in front of Alexis, and sitting next to her.

"Well, he hated children, too, and he had plenty of us," laughed Klaus.

"I'm taking the car," Five announced.

"Where are you going?"

"To get a decent cup of coffee."

He walked towards the door.

"Do you even know how to drive?" asked Allison.

"I know how to do everything."

He blinked away. Alexis took a sip of her drink, staring at the pictures on the wall.

"I feel like we should try and stop him, but then again, I also just kinda want to see what happens," Klaus said dreamily, just as Diego walked in.

Alexis looked down.

"All right, I guess I'll see you guys in, what, ten years?" he said. "When Pogo dies, maybe?"

Allison rolled her eyes.

"Not if you die first."

"Yeah, love you too, sis," Diego said sarcastically. "Good luck on your next film. Hope it turns out better than your marriage, huh?"

Alexis looked at Allison, who raised her eyebrows and folded her arms.

"Let's go, Alexis," he said, walking out the door.

Allison put a hand on her arm.

"It's fine - thank you for the tea," said Alexis quietly, and hurried after Diego.

Diego and Alexis sat on the car bonnet, looking over the water. The radio crackled and they both looked down.

"Griddy's. You coming?" said Diego.

Alexis considered this for a moment. Then she shook her head.

"Will you drop me off at home?"

"Sure."