3 | Rewarded Milestones

My head was going to burst any minute

The tear-filled pity parties I organised yesterday were a bad idea, but trying to write an essay on chromosomes and conception after I had cried my eyes raw and red, was a much more terrible one.

Not only did I constantly find my thoughts wandering to a certain someone in a certain group chat the entire time my fingers tapped away on the keyboard, I also didn't realize that my hazy vision---coupled with my unfocused mind---contributed to the utter trash I found in the word document when I opened it this morning.

Red and blue lines filled the pages almost as much as the words I had typed, laden with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors I could only term as Subject-Verb Disagreement. The sad part of not writing anything worth submitting, was not being able to read and make sense of the very words I had put down.

Heaving out a sigh, I shut my laptop screen, pressing a hand to my forehead as I climbed back into bed. My other hand felt around for my phone, enabling me to go right to the app I spent too much time on these days.

Parks: are you done yet, Mystery?

Me: Hardly. I don't even have motivation to write.

Parks: do you want some?

Me: Want some of what?

Parks: motivation to do the assignment.

Me: I very much NEED some. Yes.

Parker: alright.
every time you hit a 100 words, tell me and I'll send you a reward.

Me: What kind of reward?

Parker: i honestly havent thought abt it lol. is a selfie alright?

Me: A picture of you as a reward. Wow, how NOT narcissistic.

Parks: i realize how bad that sounds now. sorry

Parks: you want a voice note of me saying good job and encouraging you then?

Me: I was kidding. I'll take the selfies.

Parks: sweet. text me once you're done.

I loved the possibility of Parker taking photos for my sake. It was a phenomenon I had never dreamed of, let alone think would ever happen. But he suggested it, it happened.

Highlighting the previous day's writing, I cleared all traced of my fractured work and seated myself in the middle of my bed, tucking my crossed legs close to my body.