5 | Adorkable Reveals

I shut the door carefully behind me, creeping up to the fridge

I shut the door carefully behind me, creeping up to the fridge. Inside, I found a banana and a small packet of peanut butter. Taking them out, I closed the door to the fridge, making my way up the stairs before my parents discovered I was in the middle of a midnight raid... again.

The first four times they accidentally found me had not been pleasurable, especially when I "ruined their sleep and entire night" because they meant to pee and go back to bed. Apparently, they were still asleep during their venture to the bathroom, and my rummaging "woke" them.

I was halfway up the stairs when I heard a distinct buzzing sound, right before the middle of the kitchen was illuminated by a dull light. Shit. I froze, my heaving chest and shallow breaths the only things that disturbed the stillness in the house---which was weird.

Normally, my mother would be already yelling my name, warning me that the next time she finds my head in the fridge would be the last time I ever have a head. Or there'd be footsteps, some kind of scurrying at least. But the kitchen remained dead quiet and asleep, except for the light.

With one hand feeling the wall and the other hiding the banana behind my back, I move downstairs once more.

All my worry and fear flew out of my body in the next breath I puffed out upon seeing the source of the dull glow. My phone. I forgot it was clutched in my hand when I left my room; I must have dropped it on the dining table.

The screen and buzzing had come as a result of a new notification, which I checked out once I had eaten my fix and was in the safety of my room.

Staring at the screen in the darkness made my eyes water, but once the initial stun wore off, I lowered the brightness and looked at the reason behind my almost-heart-attack.

What I saw had every right to make my heart cease beating, and even if the message hadn't come the way it had, I would still be clutching my heart and willing my breathing to steady.

Parks: are you awake?
you probably aren't, that was stupid of me to ask especially after i got shit-faced and never got to meet you.

Me: Hey, I'm up.

A reply came immediately.

Parks: omg was it my fault?? I'm so sorry.

Me: Not at all! I was having a snack. And you got to meet me, we talked, you asked me if I wanted a drink too... then if I wanted a kiss.

Parks: wait really???? How do i not remember ANY of that?

At that point, I didn't know whether or not to be glad that Parker forgot all about our pact. I mean it was great, I wouldn't have to disgrace myself publicly from the rejection I would no doubt get when I kissed him out of the blue. Still, it would have been actually nice to feel Parker's lips on mine instead of just dreaming up the details.