10 | Tongue-tied Revelations

You'd think I would be used to waking up smack in the middle of the night, not be surprised at something that was practically incorporated into my sleeping schedule now

It took a while for my eyelids to flutter open, but even then, my body failed to cooperate for what felt like an eternity, until the thoughts in my head had filtered to find why I felt so disoriented.

I had missed dinner---which I found convenient in some ways as I didn't have to face both my parents before I had prepared myself for what was to come---but even with that I didn't feel the need to ingest anything apart from the water I kept on my drawer.

My bare feet met the cold linoleum floor as I moved to the edge of the bed, reaching for the half-empty bottle. Normally, I was a half-full type of person, however, nothing had felt normal considering the earlier happenings.

Replacing the bottle, my eyes caught sight of several small shapes trailing from the door to my closet. Investigating, I found a bag of cat food shoved in the corner. This wasn't the first time Jellybean had taken it upon herself to contemplate her rations---we'd found an extreme shortage of cat food at home when she figured out how to open the cabinets---but I didn't have the energy to deal with it this time around. It had to wait till morning.

The group chat was brimming with arguments over which Marvel superhero was the best despite the time and irrelevance of the whole situation. Everyone knew Captain America took the cake---in more ways than one.

I swore to myself I'd spend less screen time from now on, but I had to find out if everything was fine on Laura's end. Luckily, she was online, too.

Me: Are you okay? How did things go?

Laura.aura: Not as bad as i thought. she grounded me after i told her the truth.

I was all for telling things as they were, but in this case, Laura spilling the truth meant trouble for me as well. Her mother had seen me, and she was bound to call mine once she heard we had left town.

Me: OMG, consider me dead.

Laura.aura: Drama queen much?
I didn't tell her THAT truth. I'm not stupid. just said I had you take me to see my girlfriend👀

Me: She took it well?

Laura.aura: As well as it gets. I'm grounded mostly, and i have to get Marie to meet her sooner or later which i'm worried about. should have just said we had detention.

Me: How did we not think of that??

Laura.aura: Dunno honestly. how'd yours go?

Me: Still awaiting the big blow.

And I wasn't very keen on the wait. Morning would come with more threats, and possibly more disaster. Maybe I should take the risk and follow Laura's lead. I couldn't get in any more trouble either way.