19: Get in Loser

I could have sworn I had stepped into some sort of twilight zone, when the door to the newsroom shut behind me

I could have sworn I had stepped into some sort of twilight zone, when the door to the newsroom shut behind me. Hardly anyone noticed me, and for once, it wasn’t because they were under some sort of pretense to avoid being given work. For once, the newsroom was bustling without me having to yell first.

All around, the sound of clacking keys as fingers pecked at keyboards, the hum of the printer spewing out inked paper, and light chatter occupied too many senses, and overshadowed my presence.

My jaw fell slack as I watched the editorial team be the most productive they’ve ever been. Even without Mr. Dimas’ supervision.

Marie was the first to acknowledge me with a nod and a tip of her coffee mug after she stacked a set of papers. She slid over to me, narrowly avoiding a spill as she dodged the freshman we had recruited a month earlier.

“Wasn’t expecting you this soon, Parker,” she said as she hugged me quickly.

“That makes two of us,” I told her. “I wasn’t expecting to meet any of this.”

I turned to look around and take it all in a second time. It was perfect timing, honestly, because that was when I saw Micky walk in.

Him being in the newsroom was weird as it is, but seeing him saunter into my territory so casually, his wet hair dripping water over his face and onto the floor, with a towel in one hand, and a binder tucked under his armpit, was too much to absorb all at once.

But no one else seemed to think that. They didn’t even bat an eyelid.

“Am I the only one who saw... that?” I asked, eyes darting between Marie, who sipped her coffee and couldn’t care less about my shock, and Micky, who was now making himself comfortable. At my desk.

“We’ve tried to get him to stop, but he always turns up like this. You get used to it. Hopefully.” She made a face and gestured helplessly at Micky.

“Okay, that still makes no sense, but I’ll pretend it does.” I brushed my hair out of my face, so Marie could see the very displeased expression I had. “But why is he sitting in my chair and touching my stuff?”

“He’s been part of the team for a while now.”

“Really? And none of you thought to tell me?” It sounded more demanding than I intended, but I couldn’t think of any reason they’d make such a decision without informing me. Especially seeing as we didn’t need another hand on board. “Come to think of it, I could have worked from home; you could have sent emails or something.”

“We heard you were out of school because you needed rest. Wasn’t gonna take that away from you, Parker.”

“Micky expressed interest, and we got him on the team, because we could use a helping hand while you weren’t around.” Marie’s tone meant she would not argue over it, so I accepted defeat. If Micky’s presence had led to this 8th wonder—everyone doing what they’re supposed to do—I couldn’t really complain.