Chapter 14

The roses became heavier as her gave was focused downwards. Visions of her past self walking the path flooded her mind, each time eerily similar to the last. The same flowers, the same turns, same path, same pace. It was too similar.

As she lead her companion to near the middle of the graveyard the sun began to move westwards from the middle of the sky. It was no longer noon and they were there. The dreaded plot of land. Five stones stood before them. All marked with the same day as their deaths, same last names, her last name. Tears breached her eyes as they had every time before for almost a decade.

She recalled herself crumbling before them when she was alone, the previous year had been especially tough on her. The first visit of the year was always the hardest. Moss was beginning to grow on the once pristine stones but there were still tiny rocks adorned on all of them. Keeping what was left of her dignity she kneeled and sat on her feet.

She had nearly forgotten Midoriyas presence before he spoke to her in a hushed tone, as if he spoke to loud she would break. Who knows, she might of.

"Were they your..."

He couldn't bring himself to finish his sentence, but he didn't need to, she already knew what he wanted to know.

"Yes"

Their heart's ached together, his for her and hers for them.

"I'm so sorry"

"Don't be"

She was sick of hearing those words, people feeling as if it was their obligation to take responsibility for other peoples atrocities.

"Did Mei tell you?"

"She told me you should be the one to, though you don't need to"

He decided on being transparent with her, she appreciated it.

"I will"

"Are you sure, I don't want to make you feel like you hav-"

"I need to say it though, you're just here so I will"

Her tone was dark, the frustration seeping out of her. She just couldn't seem to make herself care she was so exhausted.

"I'll listen"

She nodded before starting.

"I used to spend the night over at Mei's house a lot and vice versa before I joined the military. One of these nights when I was at her house, someone broke in and killed them."

Midoriya could feel the absolute misery from when she talked, tears pricked his eyes. What she had said was simple but so... horrifying. He could imagine a younger version of herself walking in on a scene like that. Even with no details given it was something that terrified him to his core. He glanced at the headstones, reading the names. (F/n), (M/n), (S/n), (S/n), and (B/n).

I have two sisters and a brother so if you don't just pretend that it's different.

"I'm- what did- is that why you joined"

He couldn't decide what he should say, I mean what can you.

"I've seen the looks on peoples faces when they find out that their relative died in battle, I've felt what it feels like to lose people, if I die in the military I won't have a family that would have to deal with that."