Chapter 7

*warning: mentions of the death of a family member and familial issues*

That night Y/N could barely get any sleep. And the two hours she did manage to get were filled with horrid dreams, one dark scene after the other. 

She decided to give up on sleep when she saw it was time to wake up for school, knowing either her neighbors or her best friend would be outside her front door soon. 

The third years were confused when a sudden text reached their phones at 6:30 in the morning that read: not going to school for the rest of the week, explain later with no context or reply to their questions. Or to any of their individual texts.

The only exception to radio silence was Chikara. After the text was sent, he raced to her house with his uniform stuffed in his bag to change at her house while Y/N told him what was going on. He received an honest explanation but was sworn to secrecy for the time being. Not that there was much to hide, at the time she didn't really know what was going on herself. She could only assume.

And it only got worse from there.

Seeing Daizen pull up in front of her house absolutely broke her. Her cousin showed up with puffy, red eyes. It wasn't like him to be so expressive in this way. Daizen was the life of the party, the leader of the pack. He was strong, funny, happy. That's why Y/N and all her cousins admired Daizen. But the man sitting beside her in the silent car ride she could barely consider to be her cousin.

The next few days were mind numbingly painful and absolutely frustrating for Y/N. 

Her parents had hidden almost the entirety of her grandmother's health battle that ended in an unfortunate loss. 

She couldn't face them, and with each passing day their presence only angered her more. Hell, she was angry at everyone around her. She seemed to be the only one that didn't know, while her cousins that were several years younger than her had been informed. Why was she the only person who didn't deserve the truth?

And she was angry at herself. 

For not trying harder to visit. For ignoring the warning signals. For being afraid. For being weak. For being sad. For being angry.

Guilt ate at her, anger fueled her, grieving broke her.

Y/N could be compared to a zombie on Friday morning. She'd accumulated little sleep for multiple reasons. It was rough having to share a room with a few of her other cousins, having to stay over at their home. When it wasn't her dreams keeping her awake, it was the feeling of someone's foot at her back or the sound of someone's snores filling the room.

There was one person she needed, but she didn't feel comfortable enough to call him, to confide in him, despite needing it tremendously. "Where are you going?" her aunt asked worriedly when she saw Y/N come down the stairs with a packed bag. "Honey if you need extra clothes I can lend you some, or we can go to the store."

"N- No, Auntie. I really appreciate you letting me stay here, and for the offer, but I really just need to get home. W- Where are my parents staying?"

Her aunt's face contorted into sympathy. It made Y/N internally cringe. She didn't want anyone to worry about her, it just felt wrong.

"You don't know?" She didn't know, but she assumed they were with one of her dad's two other sisters. She avoided her parents as much as she could, not conversing with them more than necessary, meaning she didn't ask where they were staying and simply listening when told she was to stay at her Aunt Chiyoko's house. "They're staying with Maiko, but they went to go..." her aunt paused, unsure whether or not to say anything.