Chapter 17

Friday came in the blink of an eye.

The sun was out, beaming down on everyone as students and faculty spent lunch outside. They decided to repeat the incentive of the year prior: barbecue. Despite the blazing heat, everyone was in great spirits as they grilled veggies and meat.

Y/N laughed at whatever Kenma had said, leaning into his side and looking out on the field. The two were under the comfortable shade of the walkways of the campus, choosing not to torture themselves with the heat. Y/N didn't really mind being out there, but she knew Kenma wouldn't want to do much out there besides grab food. 

Y/N continued to listen to Kenma speak, reacting when appropriate. A hum of acknowledgment here, a giggle there. He had just started to talk about another cat he and Kuroo might adopt when he suddenly stopped talking. Y/N waited a couple of seconds before looking up, catching Kenma's eyes and the concerned look on his face. She opened her mouth to speak, but he beat her to it. 

"You guys really haven't spoken since Tuesday?"

A frown immediately found its way to Y/N's face. She scanned the people in front of them, eyes landing on her best friend. "Nope," she sighed, propping her head up on her hand, elbow digging into her knee. The anger she witnessed that night was gone the next day. Since then, he just looked.. sad. Guilty. The team acted like nothing had happened, while Y/N did everything she could to avoid speaking to him directly. "Does that make me petty? I mean, he was kind of a dick. I get him being mad and moody, but did I even do anything to make him so mad at me?"

Kenma thought for a while, hand on Y/N's shoulder to let her know he was still there. "No, not petty. Petty would be if you didn't know each other well, and you were holding it against him. But he's your best friend, and he was very much a dick." 

Y/N turned to look back at him, a knowing look on her face. "And the second 'but'?"

"You haven't really given him the chance to apologize." Kenma breathed a laugh, thinking back on the last few days. "It must have been quite a feat ignoring the captain of your team." A shrug and pained laughter was the only response he received. Kenma leaned back in towards his friend and rested his cheek on her shoulder. "Talk to him tonight. You'll be miserable all weekend if you don't."

Kenma smiled to himself when he eventually felt Y/N nod, her cheek rested atop his head. 

Akaashi sighed against Y/N's mouth, fingers digging into her hips, effectively pinning her against the wall. He felt dizzy, breath completely taken away. He could feel every point of contact between himself and his girlfriend, hyperaware of the warmth and pressure. He wasn't sure how long they had been kissing, but somehow, he regained his train of thought and had half the mind to pull away.

He hummed as Y/N continued to place kisses along his jaw, tugging gently at his hair at the same time. He let her do as she pleased, breathing deeply in attempt compose himself. Once his mind wasn't foggy, he brought his hands up to cup Y/N's face, placing one last long, sweet kiss to her lips. 

"Baby, you can't use me as a distraction." His tone left little for argument.

"Like hell I can't," Y/N retorted. Yet, she obliged, backing off and leaning her head against the wall, eyes closed. "Sorry."

Akaashi shook his head despite not being looked at, taking a step back and grabbing her hands in his. He let the silence settle, opting to give her the space to recollect herself. He looked around the empty classroom, breath getting caught in his throat when he saw Ennoshita pass the window as he walked down the hallway. 

"Go talk to him." Y/N opened one eye, looking at her boyfriend through her lashes. She watched as Keiji pointed out into the hall. "He's here. Go talk to him. And I'm not taking no for an answer," he said, a little too eager. The students had been sent to collect their things to load onto the bus. There was very little time before they all went home. And Y/N wouldn't even be leaving with Karasuno.