Chapter III

Author's Note~ So remember when I said I'd get ch 3 out soon?

Well, wasn't really anticipating how soon, but I was on a roll lol. Anyway, thank you for reading! Pass the story onto your friends! Spread the word! Enjoy!

The night of the party was both some of the most fun Dany had ever had, but also conflicting. The next coming weeks to follow would only further knot up her thoughts further, with Claire's words constantly in the back of her mind, and Owen's contradictory ones, though she had a gut feeling that Owen was the more trustworthy one.

Weeks went by, and Dany worked more closely with Owen and the raptors. At night, she would come home to her pleasantly warm bungalow and the dragon eggs in the box that sat on her bedside table. But as days wenton, she felt the slight tug of a draw toward the eggs, a buzzing of energy that she couldn't quite explain. When she went to pick one up one night, she nearly dropped one on the floor in surprise.

Not only was it heavier, but it felt warm. Dany tried to justify it as the stone soaking in the warmth of the climate, but it grew warmer by the day. All three of them. It was something she could no more explain than she could her fierce protectiveness over seemingly inanimate objects.

+

"You're joking, right?" Owen cut an incredulous look in Dany's direction as he tossed morning rats to the raptors from above on the catwalk where they both stood. "Wu is literally going to laugh you out of the lab."

"I know how it sounds. It's mad, it really is," Dany protested. "But I'm telling you, Owen, they're getting warmer by the day; not only that, but heavier."

Owen shook his head, but the look in his eyes wasn't complete disbelief. He wasn't discrediting or invalidating her theory, but he seemed unable to really grasp it himself.

"I just want to see if I can borrow one of the incubators. Everything Dr. Wu's working on at the time is either hatched or the embryo isn't in the egg yet, he's too focused on his work on the Indominus DNA." Dany continued, her lilac eyes watching a rat arch through the air and into the snapping jaws of the first raptor quick enough to catch it. "If you back me on this, I'll have more of a voice."

"Okay, and what if the eggs don't hatch?" Owen pointed out. "I'm going to look like an idiot for going to bat for you."

"If they don't hatch, I will take the fall," Dany promised. "I'll tell him I can't guarantee it but I just have a feeling. And this could be the opportunity of a lifetime."

Owen drew in a deep breath through his nose and released it, leaning both hands on the rail as he set the bucket down, his green eyes fixed on the raptors down below.

"Owen," Dany touched his arm, searching what she could of his face until he met her gaze. "Have I led you to not trust my instincts in any shape or form thus far?"

Owen's shoulders went a little slack as he turned his body a little to face her. "... No, you haven't."

"What if, by some sliver of a chance, those eggs are viable? What if we could bring even just one dragon into the world, something nobody has ever seen? If not, what do we have to lose?"

"Our credibility," Owen snorted softly.

"True, but if we ignore this and we're wrong, that's an even greater loss," Dany told him. "Okay, the world knows dinosaurs existed, they exist now, but dragons? To bring a creature long since thought to be nothing but myth into reality? Even Wu had said dragons were more real than we could imagine, and after the last couple of days, I can't help but feel he could be right."

Owen released a heavy sigh. "Alright. I'll back you on this, but I can tell you I don't think Wu is going to be quite as convinced."

"Maybe, or maybe he'll have some faith in me and let me at least try,"

+

"Absolutely not."

Dany all but physically deflated. "Dr. Wu, believe me I know this sounds insane—"

"Insane? Dr. Targaryen, I have brought dinosaurs back to life through genetic engineering. I have done something most people would have thought to have been insane and I've heard worse than that. What you're implying is absolutely preposterous." Dr. Wu retorted. "This machinery is invaluable to my research and the Park's livelihood, and you want to use it so you could try to hatch what could very well be painted ostrich eggs or ceramic coffee table decorations? That you're trying to tell me were sold to Mr. Grady as dragon eggs?"

Dany wasn't about to give up on this, and her jaw set. "Dr, Wu, you were the one to tell me dragons very likely existed." She argued.

"Yes, existed being the key word, past tense." Wu responded. "Not anymore."

"How is that any different from the dinosaurs in this park that you brought back? You even said, yourself that you did what others thought to be impossible."

Wu sighed. "The difference is that I know where the eggs came from. I know the sources that the DNA also came from, the fossils. There has been physical proof throughout the ages of the existence of every creature you see now." He said, setting a file down on his desk, which smacked down on the metal as though in emphasis. "You don't even really know where these eggs came from. You said Mr. Grady bought them from some oddities site, how do you even know how authentic they are? And if they were real don't you think they would have long since died?"

Owen drew a breath. "To be fair, Doctor, the woman I bought them from had extensive knowledge on the Targaryen family, in fact she was the one who showed them to me and even knocked down the price significantly when she found outI was getting a gift for a Targaryen. She said the 'fires told her' that I would be coming to her, to which when I sort of questioned her she said some crap about how the flames share secrets that the dark hides, some other bulls—nonsense."

Dr. Wu's brows shot up, "She knew about the Targaryen dynasty?" He questioned. When Owen nodded his affirmation, Wu's chocolate brown eyes turned back to Dany, searching hers as though looking for some reason to believe this was all a trick that only the vendor had been in on.

"Do you have a picture of the eggs?"

Dany quickly dug her phone out of her pocket, so quickly she almost flung it across the floor, swiping through her pictures and presented the phone to Dr. Wu of the three eggs. Wu took the device in both his hands, even zooming in on the image as his eyes narrowed scrutinably. His expression changed to something Dany didn't recognize.

"Who was the vendor?" He said without taking his eyes off the image.

"I have no idea, it was some little hole in the wall store. I spoke to her over the phone since she didn't have pictures of them on the website. I can send you the website if you'd like." Owen said.

"Please do," Dr. Wu said as he handed the phone back to Dany.

"Dr. Wu, I said the same thing to Owen, but think of what we could be missing out on if we just let these waste a way? What if we're wrong and there's something in them?" Dany asked.

"My dear, you have absolutely no idea just how astronomical that would be for science and the world in general." He said. And with that, he sighed.

"Alright. A week. You can have an incubator in here for a week. If they're as warm as you say, considering that's how one would hatch a dragon egg, a week should be more than enough time for them to hatch."

Dany felt an overwhelming sense of joy and excitement, having to rein herself in from screaming. "Thank you, Doctor, I won't forget this, ever."

Wu gave a dry laugh. "If you're wrong, Dr. Targaryen, I'm afraid you probably won't. I don't think anyone in the park will let you forget for as long as you're here."

Dany really hoped that wouldn't be the case.