Ch. VIII

The next morning brought Dany to Mel's bungalow

The next morning brought Dany to Mel's bungalow. Upon walking in, she saw books already stacked on the desk, so many with worn, leather bound covers that looked like they'd seen centuries come and go, like ancient artifacts holding all the answers Dany was looking for. Dany almost wondered how Mel made the journey over with such an impressive amount of cargo, almost as though the priestess knew that Dany would have questions, and she had the means to answer them.

She brought coffee with her and she and Mel sat down at the desk, while Mel took out a book that detailed pictures depicting history. "Your family was born from Aegon's conquest from the back of his dragon, his and that of his two sisters, Rhaenys and Visenya. It was Valyrian custom to marry a sibling, and rather than just take one, which was to be Visenya, Aegon took both. It is said that he married Visenya out of duty and Rhaenys out of love.

"All three represent the three headed dragon of your family's quest. Aegon the Conqueror rode his dragon, the oldest and largest Valyrian dragon in history, Balerion the Black Dread. Rhaenys rode Meraxes and Visenya rode Vhagar. It was Balerion's flame that forged what was known as the Iron Throne which headed all of the continent of Westeros."

Daenerys' brows furrowed. "So my great ancestor married both his sisters?" She said.

"Less than ideal, I know, but they believed it to be the way to keep the line pure and the blood of the dragon within the family. It's because of that that you're able to have the connection with your dragons." Mel explained.

"Now, your father was Aerys Targaryen and your mother Rhaella, correct?"

"Yes," Dany responded. "I was told I came screaming into the world on a night of one of the worst storms of the year. My mother and brothers are really the only ones I have left."

"Your father is no longer around?"

"My father struggled. He suffered mental illness and various addictions throughout his life. We're not sure if it ultimately was his mind or his addictions that took him but it wasn't long ago," Daenerys explained, drawing a breath as her gaze fell to the book on the desk. "We're not entirely sure if it was hereditary, but I saw what he became, and knowing that my father's illness is in my DNA and that could be me one day... or any of my brothers terrifies me..."

Mel reached across the desk and squeezed Danny's hand. "You are not your father," She told her, blue eyes searching lilac. "You may share your father's blood but that doesn't define you."

Something about Mel's words made Dany's throat swell and ache a little bit. A part of her knew it, but it was still a nagging bite in the pit of her stomach that filled her with anxiety. Hearing that from someone else comforted her, even though she didn't know Mel, it felt as though she did.

+

Between work and the dragons, Dany went to see Mel regularly for the next week or so. She learned so much about her family history, but something still made her feel so disconnected from it. Like a part of her was missing, and while she still had a relationship with her dragons, which were the size of ponies at this point, getting much bigger than the raptors they were housed with.