Ch. IX

AN~ What's this? Two chapters in one day?? I was on a roll today, and we're coming on the end of the first part of this story

AN~ What's this? Two chapters in one day?? I was on a roll today, and we're coming on the end of the first part of this story. I debated creating a whole other book for it but decided to just split this into two parts. So the next part of the series will take place a year or two in the future. That doesn't mean this part is done yet, but it will all be in the same book. Enjoy!

Dany was a woman of science, but science had also brought dinosaurs back into existence. Legend had proven the existence of dragons, and now she was venturing into territory she was unsure of what she was getting herself into. But she had to try something. At this point, she had no other options.

The ritual would take place down on the beach behind the island. Owen had gotten them down there, but he had no real idea what Mel and Dany had to do. Zara had also accompanied them, followed by Barry who had brought the three dragons down onto the beach, the three creatures trilling and vocalizing as they investigated the new area.

By the waters edge was what almost looked like a pyre, and Dany saw the look on Owen's face shift. She wore a cream flowing dress, her silvery blonde hair falling nearly to her waist. Mel had walked her through what would take place, but she was still apprehensive.

"Dany... what is she going to have you do?" Owen asked her as they approached. Dany drew a breath.

"You know the answer already, don't you?"

Owen blanched, taking a soft hold of her wrist. "Dany, she's going to kill you. That fire is going to kill you."

"It won't." Dany lifted a hand, gently cupping the side of Owen's face, her thumb brushing over his cheekbone, searching his face as he seemed to desperately look for answers. "Remember what I said before? Fire cannot kill a Dragon."

Owen gave a small, sharp exhale in protest, lowering his eyes but she gently tilted his head to meet her eyes.

"Hey. Do you trust me?"

"Yes..."

"I trust her." Dany told him. "Please... I want this to work, I have to believe this will work, but it won't end the way you think. I need you here with me during this."

Owen wanted to argue, but he couldn't. He was convinced that he was about to witness Daenerys meet a fiery, painful death and there was nothing he could do about it. Mel had managed to get the fire lit on a torch, and she looked to Dany.

"Daenerys?"

Dany nodded, drawing a breath. Zara moved up next to Owen, giving his shoulder a soft squeeze, though it was evident Dany's friend also was terrified of the outcome.

"Lord of Light. Come to us in our darkness. We offer you these false gods. Take them and your light and cast it upon us. For the night is dark and full of terrors."

Dany had been taught what to say and the line of Valyrian she had to say it in. Her pulse raced in her ears and she tried to focus. Either this wouldn't work and nothing would happen or her whole life was about to change.

"Nyke daenerys jelmāzmo hen targārio lentrot, hen valyrio uēpo ānogār iksan." She said, her voice projecting to be heard over the crashing waves which just added a power and ominous tone to her words. If she felt any sort of anxiety, her voice didn't betray her.

"Grant the Dragon's daughter the knowledge she needs so that the blood of House Targaryen may live on in her and flow through her veins. Guide her with your Light through the darkness, and show her the red beast with three heads."

The torch had died, but when Mel lifted it, flames from an unknown source shot down and consumed the end. Mel turned toward Dany.

"Zaldrīzes buzdari iksos daor."

"'A Dragon is not a slave'." Dany answered, her gaze never leaving Mel until the woman motioned for her to sit upon the pyre.

The rush of fire engulfed the pyre as Dany sat, heat and flames lapping around her. She felt no pain, only the burning of wood and fabric when she realized the flames had caught on her dress.

All anyone else saw was the pyre erupt into flames, with Dany nowhere in sight.

+++

They waited hours for the flames to eventually die down just enough, and when they began to, Drogon coiled himself around the pit of flames, Viserion and Rhaegal soon taking either side as though protecting it. They grew more agitated, anxious and it was in that moment the others knew it wasn't over yet.

Dany stood, her fair skin smudged with soot. The only thing that had been burned off of her was any clothing she wore, and Mel moved toward her. All Owen, Zara and Barry could do was stare. From beyond the hill, the raptors cawed and barked shrilly.

"The Lord of Light accepts." Mel said. "Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen. Breaker of Chains, The Unburnt, and the Mother of Dragons."

From there, she looked the part. Naked, smudged with ash, with a black dragon rising behind her and the two others at her side, tails coiled at her feet, she really had come into the title.

For Daenerys, it felt like so much more. She felt connected, like a piece of her long since missing had found it's place. Mel moved toward her to drape a blanket around her shoulders, her arm around her and there was a smile that went all the way up to the red priestess' eyes.

"Ao shifang issa?" She asked.

With one hand clutching the blanket to save herself a little bit of dignity, that almost didn't matter to Dany. Her eyes shone as she took Mel's hand and gave it a soft squeeze.

"Ao tepagon issa tolī than ao gīmigon." Dany told her sincerely. "Ao emagon dohaertan issa tolī than ao gīmigon."

You've given me more than you know. You've helped me more than you know.

Mel smiled with a soft laugh and drew her into her arms, both women embracing each other tightly. No matter what, Dany would always be more grateful to her than anything as a guide and a friend.

Mel saw both Owen and Zara hardly able to contain themselves and coming toward them, giving Dany a soft squeeze before releasing her to be all but bum rushed by Zara and Owen.

Owen gathered her into her arms and squeezed her tight as though afraid that she wasn't actually there and would disappear the moment he let go.

"You're fucking amazing, you know that?" He murmured, kissing the crown of her head. Dany couldn't quite tell if she was laughing or crying or both as Zara sandwiched her into the hug as well, only letting go to give her a little bit of space and to wipe ash from her cheek.

"How did—I—how?" Zara sputtered.

"I've always had some sort of resistance to heat, somehow I just knew it wouldn't hurt me." Dany laughed with a shrug.

"She's the blood of the Goddamn dragon, that's how." Owen said, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and Dany looped her arms around his waist, laying the side of her head against his chest.

"Mr. Grady, Ms. Young, Mr. Sembène," Mel said, coming toward them. Owen straightened, meeting the priestess' eyes as did Zara, even Barry's attention went to Mel. "As long as I'm here, the dragons will stay with Daenerys, no matter what it takes. But when I'm gone, I'm counting on the three of you. Do not let them take her children from her."

"It won't happen, ma'am," Owen shook his head. "Not if I have anything to say about it."