Chapter IV

Days had gone by, with Dany sitting in the lab after helping Owen with some of the chores at the Raptor Octagon

Days had gone by, with Dany sitting in the lab after helping Owen with some of the chores at the Raptor Octagon. She sat in a chair, staring at the incubator that held the more colorful eggs. But nothing seemed to be happening. There wasn't a single twitch of an egg about to hatch. Nothing. The metal clawed arm would pick each egg up and rotate it regularly. Dany had tried adjusting the temperature as hot as it would go, but to no avail.

She sat sideways curled up in the office chair, a leg draped over the side when a hand touching her shoulder startled her back to the present. She snapped her head up to see Owen with two paper cups of coffee as he handed her one.

"Any luck?" He asked as she took with a thin smile of thanks.

"Nothing." She said with a defeated sigh, turning her head back to the incubator as Owen pulled up a chair. She couldn't bring herself to look at the sympathetic I told you look she knew was on his face.

Owen sighed, sitting next to her. "There's still a couple days, but—"

"Don't say it," Dany rolled her eyes but she was too tired to really give much more of a protest, her resolve dwindling away gradually.

"—But, you may have to just come to the conclusion that nothing might hatch out of the eggs. I know it's disappointing, it sucks but what are the odds of those being dragon eggs? It was a long shot to begin with. I know you've spent hours in here and a ton of hope that they might be viable but the odds have kinda been against you since day one." Owen said, his tone was gentle but still trying to let her down easy.

"There has to be, though. You felt how warm they were. Something has to be in those eggs." Dany said.

Owen smirked lightly. "What're you going to do if emus or something hatch out of those eggs?"

Dany snorted. "I have that thing turned up so high that if it isn't a dragon, nothing is hatching out of those eggs." She admitted, taking a sip of her coffee.

Frowning curiously, Owen pushed himself up out the chair to look at the temperature. "Jesus, Dany. You're gonna cook whatever's in those at that temp."

"Not a dragon," Dany said, her eyes never leaving the incubator as she set her coffee down to wring her long, silver blonde hair back in a messy bun. "Fire can't kill a dragon."

+

Unfortunately, within the next couple of days concluding the week, nothing had hatched out of the eggs. Dr. Wu was empathetic, but firmly told her. They couldn't sacrifice the incubator any longer.

"They're basically stone at this point," He said. "Just use them as a decoration.

But Dany couldn't give up yet. She thanked Dr. Wu for his time, took the eggs, but she had another idea. And she knew Owen wasn't going to like it.