Eleven

Casey

It's been a week since my mom passed away. I've been home ever since, not ready to deal with the world that was waiting outside. My grandma flew over all the way from Sydney, Australia just to take care of me for some time.

I didn't leave my room, I just laid in bed, listened to depressing music and maybe sometimes, I'd get up to use the bathroom. At night, I would wake up, sweating and screaming, because once again a nightmare would occure. I would always dream about my mother, either choking, drowning or burning. It was horrible.

I didn't turn on my phone since that awful day and I didn't plan on turning it on either. I don't want to talk to anyone.

"Honey," My grandma knocked on my door and peeked her head in, checking if it was safe to come in. I looked up, waiting for her to say whatever she had to say. "I made you cookies and some tea," She walked towards my bed and placed a cup and a plate of cookies on my side table. "Also, you have a visitor." She told me, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"Who?" I asked, my voice sounding weak from all the crying I've been doing. "It's a boy who claims to be your best friend, his name is Jack?" My grandma said, making me roll my eyes. "Do you want me to send him away?" She asked, noticing my expression.

"No, tell him I'll be down in a second." I said, knowing I had to talk to him about this and he'd be the only person who would understand. I stood up from my bed and pulled on my fluffy socks as I threw a hoodie on as well. It was getting chilly outside and the last thing I wanted was to get sick. Afterwards, I exited my bedroom and strutted down the stairs. The front door was still half open, so I guess Jack was standing outside.

"Hey," I spoke up when I saw Jack staring at his feet, with his hands in his pockets. Without saying another word, Jack embraced me in his arms, pushing me close against his chest. I couldn't help but let the tears fall down my cheeks again. I sniffed a couple of times, before pulling away from the hug.

"How have you been?" Jack asked, rubbing my arms. "Not so good," I said honestly, biting my lip. "You left me when I needed you the most." I continued, hoping it'd hit Jack what he has done. "Case, I'm so sorry. I don't know how I can make it up to you. As soon as I heard what had happened to your mom, I just had to visit you." Jack apologised, keeping his hands on my shoulders. I just stared up at him, my eyes not leaving his.

"Look, if you want me to leave, I'll just go, but I'm really sorry." Jack told me when I still didn't say anything. "No, stay." I demanded, grabbing Jack's hand. "I need you to stay for a little bit longer." I felt weak and useless, but I didn't want Jack to leave yet, because I knew that if I told him to leave, he'd never come back.

"Sure," Jack agreed and led us inside. He knew his way to my bedroom of course, so I just followed close behind him. Once we were in my bedroom, I closed the door and sat myself on my bed, across from Jack.

"How's your life?" I asked, when I felt an uncomfortable silence coming up. I wasn't used to these moments. Usually we would never stop talking, but now it was as if we were complete strangers to each other.

"It's been okay, I have a girlfriend." Jack announced nothing new, although it hurt all over again. It was like he stabbed my heart. "I know," I told him. How could he be so blind? I stopped talking to him because he started dating Lily, yet he doesn't seem to realise that.

"Yeah, how's you and Sam?" Jack returned a question. "Sam and I? We never had anything." I confessed as I started playing with the blanket on my bed. "But I thought you told me you two were kind of dating?" Jack asked, that's when I realised I had snitched myself. I just had to tell him the truth.

{oooooh, what do you think jack's reaction will be?}