Chapter 2: The Call

The school bell rang loudly signifying the end of the day

The school bell rang loudly signifying the end of the day. All the students at Domino High rushed out madly like their lives depended on it - in a way it sort of did - impatient to get away from the restraining place that was their high school. They were happy to have finally regained their freedom, well until school tomorrow at least. Among these students were Yugi and Joey, who were not only ecstatic that math class was officially over, but also that they had made a new friend Ryoko. What was even better was they were going to be hanging out with her after school.

"I'm tellin ya Yug, Ryoko is amazing," Joey began grinning widely at the thought of the new transfer student. "She loves Duel Monsters, pizza, and she hates Kaiba. I think I'm in love!"

"Slow down Joey," Yugi advised, laughing softly at his friend's antics. "You've only just met her and..."

"So you're saying we can't trust her?" Joey added abruptly looking mildly offended at the thought that his best friend didn't trust his crush.

"No, I didn't say that." Yugi corrected, shaking his head. "It's just we don't know if Ryoko already has a boyfriend. You know back in America or even in Egypt."

"Well, I didn't think of that before," Joey replied, rubbing the back of his neck and blinking rather stupidly. "Yugi you're a genius!" He exclaimed, grabbing Yugi by both his shoulders and shaking him roughly.

"Um, thanks," Yugi replied, feeling quite bashful at the attention.

"I'll make sure to ask her later." Joey finished triumphantly, looking like a man on a mission. The two friends laughed in unison and continued down the long hallway. According to their earlier discussions at lunchtime, Ryoko had agreed to spend time with the gang at Yugi's Grandfather's Game shop. Initially, the plan was for everyone to meet Ryoko at her locker and head off from there. That way they could easily avoid the inconvenience of rushing around or even Ryoko getting lost (with her being unfamiliar with the school and the sheer size of the place) It was the most practical way and it had been suggested by Téa. Finally, they had reached the spot of Ryoko's locker, there waiting was Tristan and Téa. However there was only one slight problem, Ryoko was nowhere to be seen."Have any of you seen Ryo?" Joey called out, as he approached the trio of friends.

"We were going to ask you guys the same thing," Tristan replied.

"I'm gonna take that as a no," Joey said grimacing a little.

"None of us have seen her." Téa said looking down gloomily. "Tristan and I have been waiting here for 10 minutes already. This really sucks! I thought she was being genuine when she said she liked us. I mean don't understand, we were nice to her and she seemed really sweet..."