Chapter 29: Shattered Friendship

Everyone was heading Mai's room to check on their unconscious friend after going to pick Ryoko up from where she'd been gathering her things in her room, messily cramming them into her black backpack (she and Seto had woken from their nap and afte...

Everyone was heading Mai's room to check on their unconscious friend after going to pick Ryoko up from where she'd been gathering her things in her room, messily cramming them into her black backpack (she and Seto had woken from their nap and after some finagling he'd convinced Ryoko to room with him for the remainder of the tournament, hence her packing). Currently Yugi and Ryoko were standing outside of Mai's door, with the others standing nearby and Yugi was about to knock when a voice greeted the pair, "Greetings, Yugi and Ryoko," the pair turned and saw Ishizu standing a few feet away. Ryoko smiled at her sister before they walked up to one another and firmly embraced one another.

"Hello, Zuzu," the American greeted softly. The Egyptian gave her sister a small smile.
"I'm sorry about what happened to your friend. May I pay her a visit with you?" She asked them politely. The two shared a look and nodded.

"Sure, come on," Ryoko told her as they walked into the silent room.

"Hey, Serenity. How's Mai?" Téa asked the auburn haired girl who looked up to greet them.

"Quiet," Serenity replied softly.

"We gotta get her mind back," Tristan frowned.

"Serenity, has she said a word?" Joey asked hoping that somehow Mai would be okay like Ryoko.

"Nope, not a thing," Serenity answered lowly, looking upset and close to tears.

"Poor Mai. I'm sorry I let ya down, but mark my words, I promise you'll get your revenge against that Marik," Joey told an unconcious Mai.

"No, Joey. Can't you see that anger and revenge will only make things worse? That's just how Mai got this way. Marik is so full of anger and hate that he gets pleasure from watching other people suffer," Serenity said wisely as Ryoko stood next to her, placing her hand on the young girl's shoulder comfortingly.

"That jerk," Joey spat, obviously thinking of Marik.
"When I took my bandages off, this is not what I wanted to see," Serenity said before crying into her hands. Ryoko quickly wrapped and arm around her and pet her hair soothingly, "It will be okay, Serenity," she told her. "Sorry, sis. You're right," Joey told his little sister who began to calm down in her elder sister's warm embrace.

"There is hope ahead, for where there is evil there is good. Marik was good once," Ishizu said making them all look at her. Well, everyone except Ryoko who looked down knowing her sister was speaking the truth. "He began life as an innocent child, like everyone else, but that innocence disappeared, leaving my brother with a dark hole where his heart once was. I remember when this evil was born, it happened on the night he received the Tomb Keeper initiation and inherited the task of protecting the Pharaoh's tomb. A task he always resented. Now this dark presence has completely taken over my brother's body," Ishizu said.