Promise - Isaac Lahey Imagine

Lanie’s POV

Isaac’s been acting strange for the past couple days and ever since the first time I asked him about the bruise on his face, he’s been avoiding me lately and showing up to school with more and more bruises on his face. I hadn’t seen Isaac at school today but I spotted Stiles Stilinski and Scott McCall and know they were always poking their noses in everyone’s business. “Hey,” They seemed surprised that I was even talking to them, “Have you guys seen Isaac Lahey?”

They looked at each other before trying to talk at the same time and it was starting to hurt my head, “L-Look,” I said, stopping them from talking anymore, “I really need only one of you to tell me, not both at the same time.” Scott then started talking, “We saw him on our way to school this morning; he and his father were being questioned by the police and there was police tape around a grave. So I guess there was like a break-in or something.” I nodded and smiled, “Thank you.”

I walked away from the two and the only thing on my mind was that I was hoping Isaac was okay. I was on my way to find Isaac at his locker, secretly hoping he was there. I smiled as I round the corner and spotted Isaac at his locker, making my way over to him, “Hey, Lahey, you been disappearing on me?” He chuckled and turned to face me. That was the Isaac I knew, smile on his face and that light in his eyes, but the closer I looked I could see a bruise underneath his left eye. I assumed that it was from lacrosse, so I just ignored it. “Now why would I do that, Lanie? You’re the only girl willing to be around me.”

I laughed as he closed his locker, “I’m the only girl that’ll put up with you.” He laughed, slinging his arm around my shoulder which sent butterflies all through my entire body. Isaac didn’t know it, or at least I hope he didn’t, but I had an enormous crush on him since we were kids but I swore that I wouldn’t tell him until I was ready. I just hoped that he didn’t reject or avoid me because of it. “Lanie. Lanie, Lanie, Lanie…You are the best friend who puts up with everything about me and I appreciate it.”

Class went by fairly quickly and before I knew it, Isaac and I were heading out for the end of the day, I turned to him, walking backwards while he continued walking, “Lanie, you better stop before you fall.” I laughed and shook my head, “Not a chance I’m too skilled ri-Woah!” Apparently I wasn’t too skilled because I lost my footing and was about to fall back on my head but two arms shot out and caught right before my head made contact with the ground. I closed my eyes and immediately wrapped my arms around whoever caught me.

My eyes were still closed, waiting for the impact and when I didn’t feel anything, I slowly opened my eyes and saw that Isaac had caught me just three inches till I would’ve hit the ground. I looked into his eyes and smiled. He smirked and chuckled, “So much for skills, huh?” I laughed as he pulled me upright, arms still around each other. I cleared my throat and pulled away from, smiling timidly, “Uh, I gotta get home. You still coming over tonight?” Isaac cleared his throat and nodded, “Y-Yeah, I’ll be there.”

I smiled at the hint of blush creeping its way to Isaac’s face and waved to him as I left, “See you tonight!” He waved back and headed in the other direction; I lived close to the school, so it was only a short walk but it was long enough for me to think. Think about how much I cared about Isaac, depended on him, and needed him. It was completely bogus to my head, to be falling for my best friend, but in my heart, it felt completely right.

But what if he didn’t feel the same.

I didn’t like feeling this, scared and vulnerable, not knowing whether Isaac would reject me and quit being my friend or feel the same for me but it gets awkward and we stop being friends. Either way, our friendship is in jeopardy and I’m not willing to risk it. I got home and change into something casual but still dressy. I started getting the popcorn ready and set up the living room close to the time Isaac would arrive because I wanted everything to be ready by them time he showed up.