For The Win - Isaac Lahey Imagine

Tatyana’s POV

"Isaac, You’re gonna be amazing. I know it." Tonight was a huge night for the lacrosse to team; it was the big game that determined which team would go to the state finals. I had full faith in the team and in Isaac; I’m pretty sure everyone had faith. The only person that didn’t seem to have faith was Isaac and it was in himself. Isaac looked out at the field, shaking his head, "Taty, I don’t think I can do this. I haven't been at the last couple practices. What if I screw up and cost the team the win." I put my hands on either side of his face, forcing him to look at me, "Isaac. You’re not a screw-up; you can do this."

He nodded but I could tell that he wasn’t confident. I tried to tell him something but Coach’s whistle blew and Isaac took off. I took my seat in the bleachers, far enough so that I wouldn't distract Isaac but close enough to the field to have a good view. I sighed and looked up, praying that this game goes well.

I should have prayed harder.

It was almost halftime and we were losing badly. Every time I looked at Isaac, I could tell he was beating himself up about it and there was no way he was gonna be able to pull himself through the rest of the game. The referee blew his whistle, signaling half, and I watched as Isaac sulked off the field. He looked to the bleachers, looking for me, and when our eyes met, he just shook his head. As I made my way from the bleachers to the bench, I could feel drops falling from the sky which turned into a light rain.

I got from the bleachers and stood watching Coach talked to the team, seeing Isaac barely paying any attention. “Lahey! Are your focused?!” Isaac just nodded, pulling off the front that he was paying attention. The referee blew it again and both teams made their way to the field. I jogged up to the bench and hopped over it. I could hear Coach behind me, yelling at me to get off the field but I wasn’t moving. “Isaac!” I called out. He turned, seeing me on the field and jogged up to me, taking his helmet off and dropping it on the ground, “Tatyana, what are you doing? You need to get off the field.”

I smiled up at him, rain falling down his face, and put my hands on the sides of his face and pulled him in for a kiss. He was surprised at first but soon wrapped his arms around my waist. I pulled away, smiling, and picked up his helmet, “Win for me.” He smiled at me, taking his helmet from me and went into his position. I walked off the field and stood on the side watching the rest of the game. I guess my little motivation spread to the rest of the team because not only was Isaac doing much better, but we were actually catching up to the other team. Isaac caught the ball and looking at the clock, he had ten seconds to make something happen.

I looked between the clock and Isaac as he was making his way past the other team and towards the goal. “Come on, Isaac, come on.” I said to myself.

Ten…Nine…Eight…

Isaac made a pass to Scott, avoiding getting trucked down by the huge player blocking his way.

Seven…Six…Five…

Time was ticking and Greenberg lost the ball to the other team. “Come on, Greenberg. The one time I let you play, you screw it up!” Coach yelled. I watched as Isaac quickly made his way towards the ball, getting it back. “That’s it, Isaac, you got this.” I said to myself. Isaac sprinted down the field, dodging every player in his way. Three seconds left and I couldn’t contain myself anymore, “Come on, Isaac!” He threw the ball towards the goal and I could’ve sworn everyone held their breath.

I closed my eyes, not wanting to see how it was gonna end but after hearing the swish of the ball hit the net, I opened my eyes and smiled. Isaac scored the winning goal and Beacon Hills High was going to the state finals! The team lifted Isaac onto their shoulders, chanting his name. Our eyes met again and the sullen look from before was replaced with the face of true happiness. The team put him back on the ground and Isaac smiled at me and just shrugged.

I laughed at him and started making my way to Isaac until Coach stopped me, “Hey, you, small one.” I looked at him with an eyebrow raised, “Uh, yeah?” He motioned for me to come closer and I did, “You’re coming to states.” I looked at him confused, “What? Why?” He scoffed, “Because whatever you said to Lahey really helped and I’m not taking any chances.” He walked away before I could say anything else. I jogged over to Isaac, jumping into his arms and giving him a huge hug. “I told you! I told you that you could do this!” He smiled and laughed, setting me back down on the ground.

"I know. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without you, Taty." I scoffed, playfully hitting his chest, "Please," He pulled me closer to him, our noses brush against each other, "I’m serious. You’re my good luck charm; I need you around me all the time, Tatyana. I love you." I smiled a little, planting a kiss on his lips, "I love you too, Isaac." He smiled at me and walked me towards the rest of them, celebrating the night away.