GOING HOME

It took a week for them to prepare for the long travel.

Ming City was south of the capital. It was more sunny there, having longer springs. And it would take them half a month of travel.

It was the usual bumpy ride, sleeping in a tent and inns, and the scenery of wide landscapes.

They arrived a little after spring started. Everyone in Su manor knew they were coming. And the obvious anticipation could be seen as all the Su elders and cousins waited for them at the gate of their home.

Su Jin got out of her carriage with a huge smile plastered on her face.

'Everyone's still the same.'

She went to every elder to pay respect after moving to her cousins, both young and of age.

They let the father and daughter rest first and informed them of the welcoming banquet happening at dinner.

Su Jin had her own room. She tidied up a little and took a nap, resting her travel worn body.

...

Dinner was as joyous as she remembered.

Cousins were all playful even while eating, and the elderly were not too strict on etiquette and let the young ones enjoy themselves.

Su Jin enjoyed talking with her cousins. They had so much to ask about the capital and so many things to show her. She promised to have time for all of their coming little adventures.

"Xiao Jin ah, you grew quite well. I knew you'd grow up with a good temperament." Grandma Su, Father Su's mother, said so after seeing her granddaughter's poise. She saw a bearing full of gracefulness and power, like that of the phoenix.

Su Jin hearing this, smiled bashfully at her grandmother.

It would be impossible for her not to know why she'd say that.

This good temperament wasn't', after all, that good in the past. After going through a lot as an empress, it was enough to sharpen her rough edges.

Everyone in the table agreed, adding one or two of their own compliment.

Su Jin's face turned red. Not knowing on how to respond to such genuine compliments. If it was the usual sarcastic compliments of the concubines of the inner palace, that she could have handled.

"Okay, stop. Cousin might bleed from becoming too red-faced."

Everyone laughed.

The night was young so the young ones drank to their heart's content. Even the old one's, though did not drink, but relished at the sight of the youth's enjoyment and the peaceful night of spring.