UNCONDITIONAL

Su Jin sat with a straight back in front of the senior Su's, albeit stiffly.

Beside her was the man causing all this chaos.

The discussion was moved at the Su's main hall. Though there were no secrets between the Su members, it was deemed inappropriate to have such private discussion in front of young minds. Especially when the Su seniors did not exactly know what to make of this situation.

The 'young minds' was out of sight but of course not out of hearing. Her ever nosy cousins were in the side room, clearly able to hear everything at the other side.

"Ehem!" Grandpa Su fake coughed to get everyone's attention.

"I believe I heard you right Master Jing? You—," grandpa Su glanced furtively at Father Su, "—asks for our Xiao Jin's hand?"

"Yes" Ryu An answered Grandpa Su with a smile.

"Xiao Jin, do you know Master Jing?"

"Y-yes, grandpa." Su Jin said while giving a brief furtive look at her father.

Grandpa Su sighed.

"Father Su, you are the parent. What do you think of Master Jing's proposal?"

Su Jin gulped.

Father Su was quiet for a while before saying, "I shall discuss this privately with my daughter. But. . . . .I believe it doesn't hurt to look at other suitable son-in-law."

This time, Ryu An gulped. Nervous and afraid of this father-in-law of his. In the past, his relationship with Father Su had been lukewarm. He was supporting and encouraging, never used his seniority against him, nor did he use his son-in-law's position for his own gain but . . . . .the look he gave him every time, he still could not fathom.

Until now.

He used to look at him with such depth. Sometimes Ryu An would think he's looking deep in his soul.

It was quite disconcerting to not know what he meant by such gaze.

...

"I. . . . .will marry him." Su Jin said, looking at her father with determined and resigned look.

'I believe it doesn't hurt to look at other suitable son-in-law.'

Su Jin realized that. . . .

Marriage is inevitable.

It was simply foolish of her to have thought otherwise.

And it was simply. . . . . . . .impossible for her to marry another man.

'That's right. This love prevents me from loving someone else—no, even when given the chance, I'll choose not to.'

Su Jin sighed deeply, 'I love him after all, know him, and already spent a lifetime with him.'

She turned her gaze at the man beside her, she asked, "What about the capital? You—"

Ryu An answered her with his brightest smile, " I left everything to my brother. He's much better at it than me anyway."

Su Jin could not help wrinkling her forehead, hearing the latter.

Ryu An smiled, catching the implication, his smile grew wider—feeling flattered, " He will be as better as me." He added.

Su Jin turned her head away. Avoiding his scalding gaze at her.

"W-what are you now?"

"Presiding officer of this city as recommended by the highest official of the court. . ." He finished with a triumphant smirk, "for as long as I like."

Su Jin raised her eyebrows, not really surprised.

Not as much as the information of him leaving his throne. . .forever.

For her.

As presumptuous it may be to think so, Su Jin felt an overwhelming warmth in her heart.

She calmed her beating heart, returning to the present.

Su Jin looked at her ever so calm father, if one excludes his hands in a tight fist — and at the family Su Jin obtained in this life. Su Jin has no doubt that every one, young and old, loves, cares . . . .and supports her.

Whatever may happen.

With a smile as she looked at her family, Su Jin was struck with an idea.

'Yes. . .there was no need to complicate and brood over things, whatever may happen — even to this marriage — I have, this time, more support from those who would unconditionally protect me.'

'If. . . . . .if Ryu An betrays me. Hurts me. There are many ways to . . . . .stop hurting. By then I can always come home, hole myself here or somewhere, or travel far far away. I might not be able to legally separate from my husband but, i could always find ways to not see him anymore.'

Su Jin's eyes sparkled at the thought.

Sujin grew determined as she thought all this, 'mm, there are lots of ways.'

Ryu An thought she went quiet for too long, with panic in his voice,"I will have you, my wife, the only woman of my Jing household."

He declared while looking at Father Su.

Su Jin was surprised by his sudden declaration. And thought deeply of it.

'Well. . . . .only time will tell.'

Feeling the weight off her shoulders, Su Jin gave him a genuine smile this time. Squeezed his hand as she stood up and let go, "No wedding without every one's approval." She emphasized as her eyes darted from the senior su's, her father and her cousins beyond the wall — and walked out the hall.